Archive - Jul 5, 2008
During coverage of Friday Practice for the F1 British Grand Prix, Speed TV reported that this may be the last time Formula One is held at Silverstone for some time. According to Bob Varsha, Speed TV commentator, Donington Park has signed an agreement with Bernie Ecclestone to host the British F1 Grand Prix for ten years, following a 100 million dollar update to the facility. F1 was last held at Donington Park in 1993.
The British Racing Drivers' Club, the entity that owns Silverstone, has not been on good terms with Ecclestone for some time, and while the club is apparently doing everything within reason to keep F1 at their track, they have been unable to come to terms with Ecclestone.
Peter Windsor commented that Donington has committed to a Hermann Tilke refit of the circuit to make it suitable for Formula One. MotoGP fans will be familiar with other Tilke projects, such as the tracks at Shanghai, Sepang, and Istanbul. Windsor proposed that one of the problems with keeping Silverstone on the F1 calendar from Ecclestone's perspective is that Silverstone has not used Tilke for any modifications.
David Hobbs responded by saying that Silverstone, as is it, is "better than a lot of Herman Tilke circuits, that's for dead sure."
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Get your exclusive MotoMatters t-shirts here!
Follow MotoMatters on Twitter
59 of #58 - Andrew Wheeler's Tribute In Pictures To Marco Simoncelli
The most Important Race In The World
How To Save MotoGP, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
LCR Honda's Inspire Magazine
Help a MotoGP fan fight brain cancer
Vlad Drac31 min 21 sec ago
Jim Race1 hour 52 min ago
andy_bot1 hour 54 min ago
motomann3 hours 52 min ago
David Emmett3 hours 53 min ago
- Laverty confident of improved Donington Park result
- Lowes fastest in qualifying practice
- Kawasaki's Sykes Fastest In First Qualifying at Donington Park WSBK
- Donington Park WSBK First Practice: Davies Fastest In The Cold & Wet
- Can Valentino Rossi rediscover winning touch in Mugello?
- Valentino Rossi: Visier beschlagen, Platz 2 weg
- Nakamoto hat mich aufgemuntert
- Sachsenring-GP: Neuer Parkplatz für 2000 Autos
- Alex Crivillé: Jorge war in Jerez zu siegessicher
- Argentinien: Hickhack bereinigt, GP 2014 ist fix
Subscribe to email update: