Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: An unforgettable duel
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We will be featuring sections of Oxley's blogs, posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website, over the coming months.
The New Year is usually a time to look forward. But the past is an easier place to talk about than the future, so please forgive me for looking backward as I struggle into 2013, having rather overdone it on too many occasions during the past week or so.
This year it’s 20 years since one of the most thrilling, weird and anguished battles for the premier-class World Championship. The 1993 duel between Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey will never be forgotten, and not only for good reasons.
Schwantz versus Rainey will always be one of ‘bike racing’s all-time greatest rivalries – much more real and much nastier than anything we’ve had in MotoGP. The pair hated each other from the moment their career paths collided in US Superbikes in 1986.
“I don’t know why I disliked him,” says Schwantz. “Except that I knew how much he disliked me, so I figured I’d dislike him just as much.”
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Get your exclusive MotoMatters t-shirts here!
Follow MotoMatters on Twitter
59 of #58 - Andrew Wheeler's Tribute In Pictures To Marco Simoncelli
The most Important Race In The World
How To Save MotoGP, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
LCR Honda's Inspire Magazine
Help a MotoGP fan fight brain cancer
motomann5 hours 19 min ago
Oscar9 hours 36 min ago
George Bourke10 hours 43 min ago
roogazza10 hours 49 min ago
George Bourke11 hours 57 sec ago
- Alstare Bimota's Iddon Responds To Comments Regarding His Role In Barrier's Crash At Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
- Former World Champion Schwantz Will Be 2014 "AIMExpo Champion"
- NW200 organisers on the hunt for BSB talent
- Videos: Watch Highlights From The MCE British Superbike Championship Races At Brands Hatch
- Mopar Canadian Superbike Championship: Christie Aiming To Repeat 2013 Success This Coming Weekend At AMP
- "Bike Fest" Happening This Coming Weekend At Miller Motorsports Park
- AMA Pro Racing Recaps The Daytona SportBike Races At Mid-Ohio
- Forward-Yamaha: Das beste Open-Class-Team
- Shuhei Nakamoto (HRC): «Mit Lorenzo nie gesprochen»
- Jorge Lorenzo: Der zweite WM-Rang bleibt sein Ziel
Subscribe to email update: