Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: An unforgettable duel
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We will be featuring sections of Oxley's blogs, posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website, over the coming months.
The New Year is usually a time to look forward. But the past is an easier place to talk about than the future, so please forgive me for looking backward as I struggle into 2013, having rather overdone it on too many occasions during the past week or so.
This year it’s 20 years since one of the most thrilling, weird and anguished battles for the premier-class World Championship. The 1993 duel between Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey will never be forgotten, and not only for good reasons.
Schwantz versus Rainey will always be one of ‘bike racing’s all-time greatest rivalries – much more real and much nastier than anything we’ve had in MotoGP. The pair hated each other from the moment their career paths collided in US Superbikes in 1986.
“I don’t know why I disliked him,” says Schwantz. “Except that I knew how much he disliked me, so I figured I’d dislike him just as much.”
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Get your exclusive MotoMatters t-shirts here!
Follow MotoMatters on Twitter
59 of #58 - Andrew Wheeler's Tribute In Pictures To Marco Simoncelli
The most Important Race In The World
How To Save MotoGP, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
LCR Honda's Inspire Magazine
Help a MotoGP fan fight brain cancer
RedVTX47 min 24 sec ago
99bunny51 min 19 sec ago
GuitarFrank1 hour 4 min ago
KNanthrup1 hour 24 min ago
beaufort1 hour 53 min ago
- Baz ruled out of Magny-Cours World Superbike round
- Snetterton BSB: Brookes to give new engine spec full test
- Randy de Puniet/Suzuki: Lange Pause, Piste schmutzig
- Kevin Schwantz: «Suzuki soll Rennen fahren»
- Bridgestone: Was war mit den Vorderreifen los?
- COTA: Kevin Schwantz testete die MotoGP-Suzuki
- Carmelo Ezpeleta: Was wusste er vom Steuerskandal?
- WM-Leader Marc Márquez: In Amerika ungeschlagen
- Karel Abraham (14.): Schon so viele Punkte wie 2013
- HRC-Manager Livio Suppo: Neuer Vertrag für Márquez?
Subscribe to email update: