Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: An unforgettable duel
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We will be featuring sections of Oxley's blogs, posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website, over the coming months.
The New Year is usually a time to look forward. But the past is an easier place to talk about than the future, so please forgive me for looking backward as I struggle into 2013, having rather overdone it on too many occasions during the past week or so.
This year it’s 20 years since one of the most thrilling, weird and anguished battles for the premier-class World Championship. The 1993 duel between Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey will never be forgotten, and not only for good reasons.
Schwantz versus Rainey will always be one of ‘bike racing’s all-time greatest rivalries – much more real and much nastier than anything we’ve had in MotoGP. The pair hated each other from the moment their career paths collided in US Superbikes in 1986.
“I don’t know why I disliked him,” says Schwantz. “Except that I knew how much he disliked me, so I figured I’d dislike him just as much.”
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Motoshrink2 hours 39 min ago
Motoshrink2 hours 41 min ago
avsatishchandra3 hours 41 min ago
JC Racing 964 hours 5 min ago
JC Racing 964 hours 23 min ago
- LCR-Teamchef Cecchinello: «Support von Honda wichtig»
- Lucio Cecchinello (LCR): «Natürlich bin ich traurig»
- Randy de Puniet: Kein Platz mehr im MotoGP-Startfeld?
- 2015: Keine weicheren Hinterreifen für Open-Bikes?
- Nicky Hayden: Rückkehr in Misano oder Aragón?
- Valentino Rossi (35): Keine Spur von Rennmüdigkeit
- MotoGP-Startfeld 2015: Nur noch wenige Plätze frei
- Dani Pedrosa: Ist er mit seinem Latein schon am Ende?
- Eugene Laverty und Johnny Rea: Platz in der MotoGP?
- Hervé Poncharal: Marcel Schrötter 2016 in der MotoGP?
Subscribe to email update: