Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: An unforgettable duel
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We will be featuring sections of Oxley's blogs, posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website, over the coming months.
The New Year is usually a time to look forward. But the past is an easier place to talk about than the future, so please forgive me for looking backward as I struggle into 2013, having rather overdone it on too many occasions during the past week or so.
This year it’s 20 years since one of the most thrilling, weird and anguished battles for the premier-class World Championship. The 1993 duel between Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey will never be forgotten, and not only for good reasons.
Schwantz versus Rainey will always be one of ‘bike racing’s all-time greatest rivalries – much more real and much nastier than anything we’ve had in MotoGP. The pair hated each other from the moment their career paths collided in US Superbikes in 1986.
“I don’t know why I disliked him,” says Schwantz. “Except that I knew how much he disliked me, so I figured I’d dislike him just as much.”
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
avsatishchandra2 hours 40 min ago
Motoshrink4 hours 34 min ago
morbidelli1710 hours 42 min ago
Zambooni15 hours 21 min ago
MiniNinjamk516 hours 28 min ago
- Donington Park: Inspektion am Mittwoch!
- Marc Márquez trainierte auf Valentino Rossis Ranch!
- Mick Doohan: «Márquez fährt auf anderem Level»
- Misano-GP: 530.000 Zuschauer bei Sport1
- Karel Abraham (Rang 11): Erstmals bester Open-Fahrer
- Aprilia in der MotoGP: «Bis 2017 in die Top-5»
- KTM: MotoGP-Rückkehr 2017 jetzt offiziell bestätigt
- Forward-Yamaha: Wer wird Nummer 2 neben Stefan Bradl?
- Aspar-Honda-Team 2015 mit Hayden und Eugene Laverty?
- Mike di Meglio operiert, Barbera testet Ducati
Subscribe to email update: