Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: An unforgettable duel
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We will be featuring sections of Oxley's blogs, posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website, over the coming months.
The New Year is usually a time to look forward. But the past is an easier place to talk about than the future, so please forgive me for looking backward as I struggle into 2013, having rather overdone it on too many occasions during the past week or so.
This year it’s 20 years since one of the most thrilling, weird and anguished battles for the premier-class World Championship. The 1993 duel between Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey will never be forgotten, and not only for good reasons.
Schwantz versus Rainey will always be one of ‘bike racing’s all-time greatest rivalries – much more real and much nastier than anything we’ve had in MotoGP. The pair hated each other from the moment their career paths collided in US Superbikes in 1986.
“I don’t know why I disliked him,” says Schwantz. “Except that I knew how much he disliked me, so I figured I’d dislike him just as much.”
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Overhead valve6 hours 22 min ago
TimGP2010 hours 5 min ago
mark.hadf10 hours 42 min ago
Motoshrink12 hours 10 min ago
k_the_c1 day 5 hours ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Wilco Zeelenberg (Yamaha): Sorgen wegen Einheits-ECU
- KTM-Teamchef Aki Ajo: Interesse am MotoGP-Aufstieg?
- Mike Leitner: Die Höhen und Tiefen mit Dani Pedrosa
- Sergio Verbena (Forward): Für Sepang-Test startklar
- Guidotti/Pramac: «Hernandez muss neugieriger werden»
- Rookie Jack Miller: «Ich war schon immer verrückt»
- MotoGP-Kalender 2015: Erneut vier Rennen in Spanien
- Hervé Poncharal: «Marc Márquez ist der neue Rossi!»
- Gigi Dall’Igna: «Kontinuität statt große Upgrades»
- Rookie Eugene Laverty: Stippvisite bei der Rallye-WM
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: