Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: John Surtees’ unique achievement
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We will be featuring sections of Oxley's blogs, posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website, over the coming months.
In October 2011, just a few days before the end of the MotoGP season, I visited Giacomo Agostini at his home in Bergamo, Italy. Lunch was served (by the family butler and chef) and I asked him the question that had prompted the trip. Since the 1970s Ago has held the record for the number of motorcycle Grand Prix victories – a total of 122 wins across the 500 and 350 classes – and that record had never looked in danger until Valentino Rossi reached his century in 2009. But by the end of 2011 – Rossi’s disastrous first season with Ducati – It seemed once again that Ago’s record was safe.
How did he feel about that? Elated, surely?
“I’m very happy to have the most wins, and Valentino would be happy to beat my record,” said Ago. “Already I told him: Valentino, I enjoy when you win races, but please stop when you have two or three victories less than me. And he say: don’t worry Ago, of course I stop when I get near.”
In other words, Agostini had been sweating at the thought of losing his record.
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
ghostdog61 hour 15 min ago
Nealio2 hours 12 min ago
Coll Raceovski8 hours 42 min ago
wosideg9 hours 32 min ago
Motoshrink20 hours 26 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Ducati: «Cal Crutchlow ist schwer zu kontrollieren»
- Eugene Laverty (Honda) über sein MotoGP-Debüt
- MotoGP-Technik: V4? Reihenmotor? Was ist besser?
- Hervé Poncharal: «Ganz neue Organisation für 2016»
- Marc Márquez-Fanclub: Neues Logo mit «I AM93»
- KTM 2017 in der MotoGP-WM: Plan B in der Schublade
- Tom Lüthi über Miller: «Der Sprung ist riesig»
- Paolo Ciabatti/Ducati: «Können 2015 um Siege kämpfen»
- MotoGP: Die neuen Regeln für 2015 und 2016!
- MotoGP-WM 2016: Tankinhalt auf 22 Liter erhöht
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: