Recent comments

• Site Update: Big Changes Coming, New Site Layout Just Part 1 Of More   2 years 40 weeks ago

Love the change to dark text on a white background David. Reading the site on an large monitor was okay (sort of) but on an iPod touch or iPhone, it was painful!

I'm a designer as well so I'll back up the comment from FlyinLow27 about the incomplete look of the dark background around the white text box, but as we all saw in your article title, this is "NEW SITE LAYOUT JUST PART 1 OF MORE".

But as always, this site is about the content and you could have it typeset in pink with fluffy poodles and unicorns in the background and we'd all still visit it every day!

'nuff said.

Become a subscriber!

• Estoril Confirmed On 2012 MotoGP Schedule - 18 Race Season To Go Ahead As Planned   2 years 40 weeks ago

After all the talk about expanding the reach of MotoGP and going to different markets, nothing has changed from last year. Hopefully next year can bring some change to the schedule.

I am another long time, and currently full time, CAD user. However, I use modern3D CAD with predominantly light backgrounds by default and find the new layout easier to read.

I prefer the new layout, so thank you for changing it.

Yeah, not a fan. The old layout was easier on the eyes. New layout looks clunky, and overall a much less original look - the old look made MM stand out from the bunch. It's a shame to lose that individuality.

The Cynic in me asks, is this a push for more site supporters ? IE, support the site, get the nicer, nore original, less retina burning site back if you want it... certainly that's an outcome of this 'redesign'.

I read your columns all the time. Now it became even easier to read. Just ordered a calendar and I hope you make good profit from it!

Good luck with the changes to the site.
    Like a lot of computer users I immediately change all colour schemes to black background, coloured text.... easier on the eye strain.

Been using this scheme in gvim for donkeys years so it's nice to come across a website that uses the same colour scheme.

Cheers
    Andy

Any chance you could add UK / European dispatch centres? If there are large numbers of readers in different markets, it might help encourage sales. As someone who has made donations in personal 'good months', I'd really like to buy a T-shirt to advertise the site at the races, but I've been put off by the total cost of product and postage when buying from the current model. Perhaps you could investigate either getting a local print run, or sending a bulk shipment across for distribution? I know that it probably isn't a job that you yourself can add to your workload. However, if 1% of the 100,000 people are europeans thinking about a T shirt and you make a couple of quid on each one, it must be worth thinking about getting something sorted.

Good luck with the continuing project. Looking forward to the new season.

Simon

Whilst I appreciate the work you put into making MotoMatters one of, if not, the best bike racing news sites there is, I have to side in favour of light text on dark background.

Having used CAD for many years, light on dark will always trump dark on light purely because it's more restful on the eyes over long periods of time.

I also agree with FlyinLow27's point, the shift in contrast when you look from the main article to the side menus, etc, is quite tiring on the eyes.

That said, I won't stop using MM, as content-wise, there is nothing else to compare.

I am an Orange on Black kind of guy, love that layout ... back to the old layout for me and long may it stay that way .. :)

I think they run the AMA classes at the same time, making the pits too crowded for the lower classes to fit.

o i like the new layout,

but i actually much prefer a dark background under the text, it's easier on the eyes for your long articles

Not that it's worth anything, but I am also one of the few that prefer white text on dark backgrounds...

Legibility on screens is much easier for me (on paper it's another story, as paper reflects light whereas screens are backlit)

Agree with a previous comment though, that if you are going to use a white background for text, the site needs more of it. Right now it just looks disjointed from a design point-of-view.

Another point is the antialiasing of pure black type on pure white backgrounds at smaller (copy) sizes: letters look blurry and poorly designed. Switch to dark grey color for copy if you feel you need to keep the pure white background.

Just my 2 cents

Great start David, looking forward to the mobile version of the site. Any plans to make the site available in Google currents?

David, as an architectural and graphic designer, I must as well stress my discomfort with the current layout. I stare at computer screens all day in drafting/modeling programs which are filled with vast spaces, as do many of my fellow designers, and there is an overwhelming majority of us who all immediately turn the settings of whatever program for a black background with colored objects. This is just preferential, but I can say this is coming from people that stare at screens for a living.

As a suggestion, the reason why GPone.com and autosport.com (the only two other sites I read regularly) reads so well visually is that it maintains the "whiteness" throughout all of its text, and uses the border to frame the data. The constant back and forth eye movements in MM's current format while looking at main article information and then shifting attention to your twitter updates (which i look at a lot from the main page) causes unneeded and frequent pupil dialation due to the drastic contrast from dark text on white, to color text on black.

If you want to maintain the white, I think you need to use more of it then. I think there needs to be more transition between the austere white, and the lead pencil black we currently see.

Some images would be nice background accent as well. My mind always immediately goes straight to the GPone layout after Marco's passing. They blended the images of him, used to frame the articles, very cleanly and effectively.

PS. is there a way non-subscribers can get the original format back?

I agree with everything above except the final sentence. Black text on white background is much easier for me to read and I look forward to the full implementation to make the site cohesive, but I'll stay with the patchwork look and watch it improve.

David, your delegation of WSBK and monkeywork to free up time for MotoGP analysis is by far the best news on this page though. This is good timing for the change; the CRT effect on the circus will spark a lot of words so it will be interesting to see your take on it.

• 2012 Phillip Island WSBK Private Test Overall Times After Day 3: Checa On Record Pace, With Sykes Close Behind   2 years 40 weeks ago

have to agree completely (which oddly in this case, means i disagree completely)... lower contrast is far more comfortable... any way to make this an option under "My Settings?"

I had a time with the black on black on the main site. Really appreciate all you're doing for us David!

While I totally agree that black text on white background is preferable, to me this partial implementation does not work at all. Grey border, white text, orange links, white infill, blue headings, black text, grey supporter badges... This is meant as constructive criticism, but it looks a bit amateur hour.
    I understand and appreciate it's probably the best response to user requests available within time constraints, and that's cool, but I hope at some time it will regain the cohesive look in white. The MM logo at the top needs a freshen up anyhow thanks to the rider merry-go-round, and presumably that would clear the way for the black background to go the way of the 'strokers.

Till then I'm back in black.

Why is it still MotoGP only at the US GP @ Laguna Seca? I thought the reason previously was because of the 2 strokes, but they are gone now.

but change is invetiable and it's the content that matters most

All those website designers, usability experts and ergonomics consultants have a point, you know :) Your site is really much easier to read now.

Login name text is black on black background when logining from mobile phone otherwize all good :)

as the first thing I did was switch back to the original light on dark. Like it a lot better that way. I know I'm in the minority, though.

But looking forward to all of the rest of the changes, especially the mobile site.

• Become A MotoMatters.com Site Supporter: Take Out A Subscription!   2 years 40 weeks ago

Paid my subscription and very happy to.
    I have eschewed all other MotoGP sites in favour of MotoMatters. The haters and the pin-stickers seem to be far less evident on this site and I hope David and his team can keep herding them back to crash.net and the like and keep this site focused on racing.
    I know that Casey can be prickly at times, and Vali and Jeremy have had their reputations somewhat tarnished by the move to a red paint job, and that Dani is maybe not managed by the nicest person on the planet.
    You know what? I don't care!
    What I care about is the great and magnificent history of GP racing, and that it continues unabated and unpolluted.
    I want a prototype class not a production-based class, and I want to see the best riders in the world on machinery that advances motorcycling, not imitates what already exists.

Keep pushing against the trend towards dumbing everything down, David. You
    have a great site with intelligent, incisive commentary. Long may it prosper.