Recent comments

• The Consequences Of Tragedy: MotoGP's Silly Season After Simoncelli's Death   2 years 42 weeks ago

The Rookie Rule wasn't introduced until 2009, to help the satellite teams with sponsorship. That's why Lorenzo, Hayden, all the others could go straight to a satellite team.

• 2011 Valencia MotoGP Thursday Round Up - Remembering Marco Simoncelli   2 years 42 weeks ago

Sport is finding human limits. Sport is also entertainment. And a money industry. And competition. But it always amaze me how some sportsman manage to resonate with people way beyond the sport itself (without necessarly being the best). Marco was one of those. The amount of tribute you see in Italy, on Facebook, on the road goes well over motogp audience.
    And his family has proven to be as exceptional people as him.

It saddens me that such a loving and caring family would have to suffer through such a thing as losing a son. Every time I think I have accepted that Marco is no longer here, I realize I'm not after reading articles such as yours. I have lost a lot of friends and family over the years, and for some reason it feels as if someone I personally knew had passed. I don't understand and I can't explain why it feels like such a personal loss. I am looking forward to watching the race, but when I went to Motogp.com to see the practice times, it hit me again. It will be a tough weekend with lots of emotions for sure. May god bless the Simoncelli family.

My tears for Marco and his family finally came with that story.

Wow

His family has really impressed me no end through this. It somehow makes it even sadder though. I think the tribute on Sunday will be sad and amazing at the same time. I have to say I'm sad I can't hear that in person because it is going to sound amazing and probably just be an amazing thing to experience emotionally. I am glad the sport I love so much has proper respect for their own.

but this recounting of from dovi and the stories of marco's family are a bit too much.
    tears...

Moving image of Dovo with Sics family, I literally have a tear in my eye reading this at work. I shouldn’t be surprised with this response from the family, ive seen the motorcycling community band together at such tough times. Makes me thoroughly proud.

Regarding messages, on Marcos website (http://www.58marcosimoncelli.com/) there is a link "to send your messages of condolence in his memory, please send an email to ciao@58marcosimoncelli.it "

I would love to pay my respects, as well as purchase #58 stickers and a shirt, poster, etc. Do you know where we can find such things? any help would be great. Thanks.

amidst all chaos and fight between Rossi and Stoner, i had a question in mind. If anyone could answer it, it would be helpful... I know about the motoGP rookie rule, wherein the rookies are not allowed to compete in Factory teams for their first year,

but why was this not the case for Nicky Hayden, Dani pedrosa, and Jorge Lorenzo? has it got something to do with winning the championship? if so Rossi was not allowed to compete and instead put on a Nastro Azzuro Honda in his first year. anyone got any idea what the rules are?

IMHO, for the good of MotoGP, we need more riders/teams/machines dicing for the win right down to the last laps. It could be Stoner/HRC, Jorge/Yam, Rossi/Duc, but it do not have to be Stoner/HRC, Jorge/Yam, Rossi/Duc.

Indeed. HRC might not want/need him on their machine at this moment. After practically giving the factories their marching orders with the 2013 all CRT spec ECU announcement, I do not think nanny Dorna has much leverage over them anymore. Lets see, change the rules again, factories spend money developing new machines, then tell them it is good for only 1 year.

I am sure that if you send a card to the Simoncelli family in Coriano, Italy, it will arrive at the right place. The postmen and postwomen of Coriano will know where to deliver the mail.

Thanks David. How might we send our respects to his family? Would you know how to contact them?

• Misano World Circuit To Be Named After Marco Simoncelli   2 years 42 weeks ago

Just an idea, Misano should be renamed "SuperSic World Circuit", would be a good way to remember and honour the memory of Marco Simoncelli.

• Paris Hilton Being Sued For Breach Of Contract Over 125 Team?   2 years 42 weeks ago

For sure, they definitely target teenagers, if not pre-teens too while they're at it. It's evil, but at the same time, I think a big problem of the world's is that no one is taking responsibility for their own actions, and no one is taking the time to raise their children correctly.

The attitude that a parent is at the whim of big bully tobacco companies' advertising whether their children smoke or not is passing the buck.

"So far as I can work out, sex isn't near as bad for you..."

-With the way the American government is constantly fighting off religious interest groups from lobbying to get Abstinence the sole method of sex-ed in public schools (who needs to know how to put on a condom when you shouldn't be having sex until you're married?!?!) here in the US, you'd think otherwise...

The tobacco companies target teenagers. The stuff about getting people to change brands is bollocks, they want beginners.

So far as I can work out, sex isn't near as bad for you...

We do need more sponsors with names like her's. Especially if us in the States want any respect from TV.

David can you post a story on the Marco fund so we know where to send $?

"Paris Hilton Racing has to take care of there/her brand that she crafted along with her investment with Blusens and which by the way should be the importance and not her attending VIP parties for Supermartxe gain."

Nope.

What is important is what she signed on the contract.

Let her tell it to the judge :)

• 2011 Moto2 Championship Settled After Marquez Forced To Miss Season Finale   2 years 42 weeks ago

I think I agree with what others have expressed about a certain dissatisfaction with the "apology" (if any??) that the Repsol/Caixa Moto2 have given to Wilairot's team. That said, in the interest of the sport at large, I really hope that Marquez' eye issue resolves at some point and does not become a permanent injury. Are there any doubts that he can physically recover, and has not screwed up his eye in some major way? I would think that with the medical resources at the team's disposal, the swelling should have gone down by now (the human eye typically heals quickly, right?).

It would be a major blow to the show for Marquez to not be in full force next year in whatever class he's in, because like him or not, he is a fantastic rider to watch. I consider the 2011 Moto2 title to belong to Bradl now, and I really hope that Marquez makes a recovery to qualify & race, if only for the comparatively paltry reason of Bradl taking the championship on a win in a race, and not by default of the runner-up not showing up on the grid for whatever reason. Of course, priority should always be on rider health/safety so this situation should only occur if Marquez is 100% capable, sadly it doesn't look like it will be. It's a pity, because Bradl rode such strategic, wise races and deserves a "Win" to take the title.

• The Price Of Success - How The 2010 Silly Season Will Cost Millions   2 years 42 weeks ago

very amusing to go back and read this now.

Sorry bout that. Read with that frame of delivery your first paragraph is the intended chuckle... and a hint of reason. I'm not a betting man so I won't write anyone off or state certainties but for Rossi to come back and win a championship against Stoner and Lorenzo and the couple other fast up and comers around would be be a fairy tale end to a fairy tale career. A tall order if he was on equal machinery but as it stands it would require a resurgence of both Ducati and Rossi. I would certainly applaud him back near the front and on the podium now and again to keep things interesting but have my fingers crossed doubly that Ducati become a viable option for riders now and the future.

On a side note: Anyone seeing shades of Eddie Lawson in Rossi's situation? Dominant rider winning multiple championships on two different manufacturers only to end a career with a struggling but inspired Italian brand while the next generation of champions make news at the front?

More harmful than tobacco? Maybe they should have a co-sponsorship with Valtrex :P

But seriously, I completely agree that any sponsorship is good sponsorship. I for one sorely miss the tobacco advertising, and as being a good target of their marketing (<30yo), I can tell you that just because rossi was rolling around on a camel bike or hayden's now on Big Red, doesn't mean I'm rushing to the store to buy some smokes. When I saw that Paris was sponsoring a 125 team, I thought "Wow I hope she gets her money's worth" with how competitive the class is. When Vinales started winning, I was actually thrilled that Paris' sponsorship was right there in front of the cameras at the front, because this is GREAT marketing towards other ultra-rich would-be sponsors.

If the Kim Kardashians or other less-known non-starlet conglomerates (the Dubai big-bankers or Antonio Banderas are sort of bad examples, their teams in the past weren't or currently aren't doing too hot lol) see the marketing that Paris was getting just for having her name on the bike, maybe they'll come along too and bring their $$$. Because aside from Rossi who reportedly occasionally sneaks a smoke (he's young, a star, and italian, who doesn't enjoy a drag in those circumstances?), you just didn't see the ultra-fit athletes of today representing their sponsors literally with butts hanging from their lips. And when Vinales won his first 125 race under the Paris banner, she went to give him a hug & peck in Park Ferme and you could see he was practically repulsed and with an expression of "yeah whatever". I understand he's a dedicated focused racer, but goodness he's a 16yo male who just won a race and even he didn't want anything to do with Paris lol. Just goes to show you that you take the sponsorship $$$ and uphold your end of the bargain, doesn't mean you have to live the brand.

In closing, we need more Paris Hilton's to broaden the exposure and appeal of motorcycle racing to the general public. As you can see from the small gridsize, having an exclusive club of purists is not guaranteed to pay the bills.

Cool heads must prevail. I can completely understand the Repsol/Caixa team's frustration at losing a chance to snatch a championship. I am relieved though that they aren't letting Maq out there even with slight blur in one eye. These riders are highly motivated and surely ride with all sorts of injuries but after Sepang I don't want to see a vision impaired desperate rider out on track chasing a title. Sucks to see (pun not intended) the end of the championship go down like this. Would have been great to see Maq and Bradl fight these last two races.