Recent comments

• Why Motorcycle Racing Fans Should Oppose The Stop Online Piracy Act   2 years 41 weeks ago

Thank you David for helping bring this very important issue to the attention of the motorcycle racing community. Even though many of your readers are not from the USA, these two laws if passed would impact them too since the Internet is truly an international resource.

When I started following motorcycle in 2007. I wanted to find a site which could bring me up to speed. I googled, and I got to motogpmatters.com, as it was called then. Without search engines such as those, I would have never been able to spend night after night catching up and reading about a sport which has now become apart of my life. We all need to petition.

I support the black out, and would support it on this site as well.
    Thanks for bringing it to the attention of moto fans and for elaborating on the cause for concern.

Write to Congress, people.

Thanks for this, David. I think it will take years for the web to settle down. I still can't believe how ignorant Dorna are in digital media. They rigorously police youtube and other sites to keep their content off, missing the value of all the free publicity that clips all over social networks of the Rossi vs Stoner duel at Laguna could give to MotoGP. There is little on their website to inform or enthuse newcomers to the sport. All they want is subscribers to their downloads. If they maximised the audience, they would get more sponsors into the sport. If they grew the audience and reduced the prices to a sensible level, they may find they took far more money.

• Ezpeleta On The Future Of MotoGP: Bikes Costing 1 Million Euros, Fewer Spanish Races And Performance Balancing   2 years 41 weeks ago

The Permanent Bureau (FIM president and Dorna CEO) have had veto power over any proposed regulations. All of the changes to 4 stroke, to 800cc, to spec tire, were unanimous vote. Its a bit late to start blaming the MSMA for proposals that everybody voted for.

If you read my posts you see what I am in favor of 2 things:

1. Equal regulations for all participants in the premier class. This is the responsibility of the sanctioning body (the FIM), who passed it on to Dorna, who accomplishes everything though opaque old-boy-network style negotiations. Instead of worrying about reducing engine capacity to prevent straightaway crashes or getting Rossi the best tires, spend some time designing regulations that can last for more than 5 years which is what really creates stability.

2. Elimination of spec equipment (tires) and well thought out rules that discourage technology development that is not relevant to improving the production breed.

>>Last time I checked, Honda was more than 400 times bigger than MotoGP. Good thing you care about preserving the integrity of the sport. :-P I'm not against the manufacturers, but my consideration extends well beyond their bottom line and corporate strategy.

I'm not sure what Honda's corporate size has to do with anything. I don't get your dislike of motorcycle manufacturers. They have been the driving force and main competitor and equipment base for motorcycle racing since day one. What has changed is: a.the focus on entertainment, which is directly attributable to Dorna's (not unreasonable) desire to make money with their leased business, and b. the FIM giving away responsibility for rule making.

I'm not for the MSMA making rules or blank checks given to anybody. It's just that this new desire to have smaller and slower teams be competitive where they were never competitive before by slowing down the faster guys is not competition, it is reality TV.

And please stop telling me what I know but won't admit to myself. (You have made yourself an instrument of those companies b/c you think your agendas are aligned., I don't think you need to me to tell you that they are yanking your chain.) It's insulting to me and only shows your lack of any factual argument to support your position.

Chris

I live in the US and this type of legislation is precisely why this country can be so infuriating sometimes. It's clearly written by the industry with little or no consideration of everyone else.
    I have already written my congresspeople, which I don't do nearly as often as I should. This bill really sucks though. There is a good groundswell in internet circles and even Obama has expressed dissatisfaction with it. Hope he doesn't cave though, he has not had the greatest track record on that so far.
    Thanks, David.

• Ducati To Test Brand New GP12 At Jerez From Tuesday   2 years 41 weeks ago

Oh, the heady days of 2007 when the steel trellis bike a raw speed advantage and tyres that were specifically designed for it.

In 2008 Stoner lost his title because the other teams got their pneumatic valves to work and Ducati lost out when the Bridgestone rubber fell into the hands of the other riders.

In 2009 Stoner won 4 times, then 3 times in 2010 on the CF monocoque bike against depleted opposition.

I'm not knocking Stoner but his results on the CF bike are not as stellar as some people would have you believe...

• Sending A Message: Honda Adds Two Japanese Wildcards At Motegi   2 years 41 weeks ago

Here's another reason for me to take a closer look at the Boston Honda dealers, I've always had a thing for Honda and now I know why.

• Honda WSBK Press Release: Rea And Aoyama To Test In Australia   2 years 41 weeks ago

Let's face it... the 2012 CBR1000rr is still going to have trouble getting up to speed in WSB this year. Rea has been the only contracted-rider able to ride the thing among the front-runners! Ten Kate needs to get the ghosts worked out of the bike for Rea (and Hiro) to be a real threat this season. The electronics are still works-in-progress. Can Cosworth get anything more from the engine under WSB specs? The bike is still down on power. Unless Rea gets pole and gets a 1-2-second gap while leading, he will have a lot of work to do to stay in front of people like Laverty, Biaggi, Checa, and all the BMWs on certain tracks! Sad but so true! Rea is a smart talented rider... he has a clause in his contract somewhere about going to MotoGP with Honda. What the conditions are in that contract? I would like to know. Rea wants to be WSB Champion with Ten Kate for Honda before moving up... but I think that's a very tall order!

• Ducati To Test Brand New GP12 At Jerez From Tuesday   2 years 41 weeks ago

They probably need to do it, but using a conventional frame like the Japanese bikes just makes Ducati that much less interesting to me if I'm honest. It's a great pity that Rossi couldn't take the carbon bike by the scruff of the neck like Stoner could, but also a great vindication of Stoner's ability. My prediction is that things won't improve dramatically for Ducati this year - rather it will be a pretty dull era of fair to midding results at best for them.

• Crescent Suzuki WSBK Press Release: Hopkins Has Finger Amputated   2 years 41 weeks ago

What, like they're going to run out of amputation permits or something?

• Ducati To Test Brand New GP12 At Jerez From Tuesday   2 years 41 weeks ago

didn't have it finished in time for the PR wank-fest in the snow. As has been pointed out by everyone from Stoner to Burgess, this is not HRC we're talking about, they do it differently. Even with the torrent of Rossi dollars it's still a small operation and in spite of the outsourcing still fairly Italian.
    With all the revision, redesign and remanufacture that's been going on, I'd say they'll be drilling holes in the fairings and zip tie-ing on bits and pieces on the morning of the test. :-)

• Ducati To Test Brand New GP12 At Jerez From Tuesday   2 years 41 weeks ago

perhaps they want to wait with bad news for rossi until the sepang test ...

Okay, you don't like Hopper. Fine.
    But for the record he was in a bad situation not unlike the one you describe.

• Ducati To Test Brand New GP12 At Jerez From Tuesday   2 years 41 weeks ago

I'm really puzzled by the mystery surrounding the launch of the new Ducati! Do they really think that someone would copy their "solutions"?! Or maybe, they don't have any solutions.

• Provisional Entry Lists Announced: 21 MotoGP Riders, 33 In Moto2 And 32 In Moto3   2 years 41 weeks ago

If anything he's been over rated - of which I am as guilty as the next man. After his initial strong showing on the satellite machine he's been proven to be nothing more than a good second string factory rider in MotoGP. His 250 record sings the same song.

Spies. An up and down first year on a factory machine. Hit by injury, sickness and mechanical woes. Together with both stellar and less than so rides. He needs a strong 2012 and I think we'll see it from him.

Top joint of right hand ring finger? Superfluous to requirements. Weight saving. As for braking. Well many use just index, or index & middle fingers. Some are a whole fist full of digits on the lever. I don't know where Hopper sits here, but it's hardly an issue he'll struggle to adapt to if he's in the later group.

If he wanted to have the finger amptated then it was his choice, not something I could have personally done but hey, he could have done it to prevent future problems where it might have been necessary to remove the damaged area anyway or,what has been said, to get on with his preparation for the coming WSBK season, and good luck to him.

• Ducati To Test Brand New GP12 At Jerez From Tuesday   2 years 41 weeks ago

Oh lord, we beseech thee - please let the damned thing be competitive - I can't take another year of making excuses for Rossi :)

• Marquez Undergoes Surgery To Correct Eye Problem   2 years 41 weeks ago

...... even more strange is he was cleared my medical staff and rode after the crash. I know he did not enter QP, but SOMEONE said he was cleared to ride after the crash.

...... shame to see Castrol NOT been the title sponsor anymore.

It see pictures that the CRB is just white ( although thats nothing new for pre-season ) . Lets hope The Ten Kate boys can get some deal going. Nothing worse then seeing a plain bike.

I think Hiro is going to do well this year. There a few tracks he does not know, but he will have the backing of a very professional team & a fast team mate to help him get on his feet. Shame to 'loose' him to WSB, I would have been very happy to see him in #Moto2. Its a perfect class for his style & more importantly, his size.

Maybe the change of paddock, tyres etc will suit Hiro & he does well.

I really don't understand the whole "moving up" idea. Some riders are simply suited to smaller bikes. Aspar in years gone by, TE#24 today for example. Some do move up & make it work, some ....... dont.

As for JR#65, he really needs to make this year count. Title or at least top 3. Nothing else will be good enough. He also needs to do the Suzuka 8hr to stay in HRC's really good books. I still think the LCR would have been a better place for him in 2012 as at least everyone is starting a fresh this year. If he joins MotoGP in 2013 (fingers crossed) then he will already be one year behind the pack.

It will be interesting to see how both Rea & Smith compare in 2013 ( if Rea does switch ) seeing as there backgrounds could not be any more different.

Good luck to both Rea & Hiro & good luck to Rea if he does do the 8hr. I really think he NEEDS to do it & do well if 2012 is his last year in WSB.

• Marquez Undergoes Surgery To Correct Eye Problem   2 years 41 weeks ago

I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.
    Fearlessness is an essential ingredient for a racer to be exceptionally fast. Many racers gain a fraction of a second per lap after a traumatic accident, and usually struggle to lose it afterward. Lorenzo went through that phase after a series of crashes in his rookie season and eventually regained his mojo; If I'm not mistaken Poggiali had crashed repeatedly after winning the 250cc in his 1st attempt, but never recovered that speed. Once you realize that you are not unbreakable, you think twice before attempting any daring... It would be a pity to see him experience this sort of issue when he does come back. I hope he returns to motorcycle racing and remains as fast as ever.

Interesting that they could not get the press release right -- per the foto he posted, it's the ring finger on Hopkins' right hand, not the "middle finger".

It's incorrect also on the team's web site.

Anyway, that's his braking hand, so it's hard to believe his riding will not be affected. But if it had actually been his middle finger, that would be even worse, since the average person has a lot more control over this finger, and it's a lot stronger as well.

Good luck to John. And I hope he won't suffer any more injuries; he's had quite a few already.

Yea like smokers... Most ridiculous answer ever.

More like firefighters, police officers, soldiers and those who end up in a bad situation through no fault of their own such as Neoplasm or Sepsis.

This "dog" should have gotten the Old Yeller treatment after showing up at the track drunk and mouthing off or lying about his health in the AMA. Numerous reasons why this ding dong doesnt deserve yet ANOTHER chance

• Ducati To Test Brand New GP12 At Jerez From Tuesday   2 years 41 weeks ago

For some reason, I imagine the Ducati crew sweating foreheads, tomorrow they will know...