Recent comments

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

Isn't purchasing a streetbike, a pretty major purchase, based on the level of results based on their top level of racing a bit naive? Shouldn't that purchase be made on which bike suits you best for the street? I wouldn't give my ZX-6R up for anything even though I was disappointed when Kawasaki left MotoGP but I'm not a contracted rider and have never even done a track day so Kawasaki's lack of participation in MotoGP does not affect the power delivery, handling, or reliability of my bike. Those all come before if they race MotoGP or not.

• When Amateurs Attack: Valencia Test Photos By David Emmett   2 years 44 weeks ago

I will agree with both you guys here. The important thing is that Ducati has made a drastic change with their frame design considering they seemed hell bent on trying to make the all CF frame work for so long. I think they're off to a good start by having more flexibility with engine mounting location but from what I've read it still has a lot of the same problems the GP11 had. I wonder if at some point it becomes less CF and more aluminum than it is now.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

Great bike (if numerous reviews are to be believed) but very far from a sales success. I wonder if that's down to their negligible presence in international or even national racing?

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

Well, for me the inverse certainly works.
    If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would still hold up buying a Panigale until I've seen how the chassis fairs in production based racing.
    Suzuki's whole attitude towards MotoGP and WSBK did disappoint me that much, that it may influence what brand of bike I buy the next time. Not the fact that they pulled out, but the way they left their teams hanging.

Totally stupid and illogical, I know, but still at the moment Suzuki went a few places further down on my wish-list.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

It looks to me as if Suzuki was waiting to see how committed Ezpleta was to the CRT cause.

Ezpleta made clear the fact that in a couple of seasons CRT type bikes will be the norm.

To make that possible he said he'll direct all founds Dorna has available to CRT teams only.

On the performance gap he stated he'll gradually tune the extra petrol allowance to CRT bikes until they'll be able to compete with factory bikes.

So Mr Carmelo is getting rid of that tedious 21 liter limit but only for CRT teams.

The guy cleared two issues in one go, the petrol rule and the factories excessive influence over the running of the show.

What's the point then for Suzuki in keep on spending time and money on rushing to complete a bike for 2012 that will be useless 2013/14?

As many already said, they'll focus on improving their street bikes production to become, maybe, let's say in year 2014 the engine of choice for the teams in a CRT dominated Motogp scenario...or maybe not.

Only time will tell.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

"Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" may make sense with production based racing but i can't see the connection with prototype racing. You'd buy a bike because the company made a completely different bike that wins races? I realize the bikes in WSB are pretty far from the showroom models but you can at least pretend it's the same thing.
    For me a motorbike is how I get to work. Winning races has nothing to do with my purchase decisions though I do like having a sporty bike (Triumph Speed Four, currently).

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

so not part of your 2% Norm. Undoubtedly the industry has become more niche specialised over the years, but there's still a healthy proportion of us that to some degree buy into the 'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday' theory - for sports bikes at least. It's a different story in the U.K, Europe and Australasia.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

It was stupid of Dorna to give an ultimatum of last Friday to Suzuki. They should have been given every opportunity to continue internal and external discussions towards fielding a team next year.

The worst thing about this is I don't think we'll ever see Suzuki return to competition at this level. Ditto for Kawasaki. I'm in two minds what it will mean for their commercial prospects though. Triumph don't race in any meaningful way on the world stage, save for a bit of a lightweight effort in WSS, yet commercially they are doing very well thank you very much.

• Ant West Returns To MotoGP With Speed Master CRT Entry   2 years 44 weeks ago

The claims you are making about Honda at the last Valencia test are similar to claims that were made about Honda at the beginning of 2011. At the time Stoner completely rubbished the claims, saying that there was no point whatever testing something that they weren't able to race. It is more likely that Honda were sandbagging at Valencia. This would be consistent with the rumours of stunning lap times put in by Stoner at the first 1000cc private test at Jerez. I think the HRC management are a whole lot more sophisticated than you give them credit for. What they want is to win championships, not generate meaningless headlines after a test session.

But I agree with your last sentence. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 2012 becomes a straight shootout between Stoner and Pedrosa, with the rest making up the numbers.

• Summer Sale: Get The MotoMatters.com 2012 Motorcycle Racing Calendar At A Hefty Discount   2 years 44 weeks ago

>>This may lower the level of discourse somewhat, but the weekly start day of the calendar should not be an issue. It's akin to
    >>only using US Customary wrenches because the metric system is too much effort.

if all the nuts and bolts on your bike are in standard sizes buying metric wrenches doesn't make much sense no matter how pretty they are.

• FTR To Build Honda-Powered CRT Bike For Gresini MotoGP Team   2 years 44 weeks ago

FTR is getting busy; an overview of there upcoming work:

MotoGP:
    FTR - Honda (Gresini)
    FTR - Kawasaki (BQR)
    FTR - Aprilia (PBM ?)

Moto2 chassis package
    Moto3 chassis package

Getting all these new chassis built is going to be one thing. But supporting the development on them.... Especially with three different engines in MotoGP.

I have just received mine in the post, all the way from the US to Australia.

Awesome job Scott Jones.

I love it. The comments for each picture are thoughtful and well written. The Stoner center spread was a real surprise and delight - I purposely didn't preview the calendar online. Turning the page to see a vertical centre-spread of a monster wheelie from the World Champ - really made me grin big time :) And not just cause i'm Aussie.

I'm left shaking my head at some people saying they wont buy this, or complaining cause the week starts on Monday! That's absolutely laughable. Consider yourself the backmarkers of Motorcycle fandom - and look to be lapped by fans that have bought this fabulous piece of work!

PS love the pic of Checa. Really captured his spirit, I think.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

They might have had a couple more titles by now, and looking good for 2012.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

beggars can't be choosers.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

Their bike was just finding it's pace, Bautista being able to race with Sic/Dovi/Duc's in the last few rounds.

I'm guessing that there's no chance that they'll let privateers run those bikes in the future?

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

Maybe they could brand the exhaust pipe. All white with a little Rizla logo...

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "Its the 4 strokes that have sent the costs sky high and started the decline of motogp"

i contend it was the "i'm not going to pay alot for this muffler" mentality of those claiming to be "motorcyclists", that sent profit margins plunging that begat the decline of the industry that THEN begat the decline of motogp. the recession...? just a "backstory".

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "They haven't had any success for years"

that's because they never tried. don't confuse what you saw the past decade. motogp was never meant to be anything more than a token presence so long as they had a license to print money in america. notice grandprix pretty much fell off the radar for them round about '98/'99...? oddly enough this just so happens to correspond with the release of the new fuel injected GSXR750 and the start of the "money makin mladin" era (how convenient). krjr didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting his RGV500 supported for his '01 title defense back at the turn of the century. i remember the wailing and nashing of teeth VIVIDLY.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "I would think there's more in this decision than simple production mentality/profit from Suzuki's side."

why...? when you're a FOR-profit entity operating in the 21st century, what other consideration is there...?

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "If they pull out, they can spend the $ they would have spent on a noncompetitive gp bike and put it on a complete redesign of a inline 4 they can get some marketing out of."

which we assume is something they will DO. that is but our selfish desire as motorcyclists. don't be surprised when they DON'T.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "Knowing I am due for a new streetbike this season it looks like an R6 it will be."

i say make it the new GSXR600 or you'll never see them return. don't think they'll take a risk on us when we've already shown (long before this) that we aren't going to value their hardwork and ingenuity...? bikes won't disappear, but if they have money to invest...? they'll invest in car-side (where they're all but gauranteed to see a return). lest we forget, they are in the same enviable position as BMW and HONDA. 20 years ago, hyundia couldn't get arrested. now in 2011, they are the toast of the industry. if Korea was able to accomplish this, how much more so could an established Japanese marque...?

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

Exactly. Bautista was obviously loyal to them until he just could not delay any longer, but loyalty goes both ways. Now Suzuki's made it very difficult for the rest of the team to find somewhere to go for next year.

Not very professional.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "A healthy part of my purchase consideration stems from a companies racing participation / success at global level. You reap what you sow Suzuki."

good. you however represent a 2% sub-niche of an already niche business. what about the other 98% who don't know from racing...??? the sooner we acknowledge our minority position in the grand scheme of things, the sooner we'll be able to mount an effective plan of action. each one, teach one.

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "From what I've seen, 90% of the Suzuki GSX-R riders in the US have no idea what MotoGP is."

YYYYAAAAHHHTZZZEEE...!!!

• Suzuki Out Of MotoGP In 2012   2 years 44 weeks ago

re: "Perfect opportunity for the factory yamahas to pic up the rizla sponsorship"

they can't afford yamaha.