Recent comments

• Yamaha Loses Petronas MotoGP Sponsorship   2 years 42 weeks ago

Fingers Crossed! MotoGP desperately needs this.

• Hayden Breaks Shoulder Blade In Training Accident, Sepang Test In Question   2 years 42 weeks ago

Even the european riders (Rossi, Pedrosa, etc) ride dirtbikes because it keeps them in shape. Cross-training is just one of the necessary risks that riders find is worth taking to keep their riding "fitness" up for the race days.

• Yamaha Loses Petronas MotoGP Sponsorship   2 years 42 weeks ago

The boy sees Works Bikes...

I've seen a friend badly break her ankle falling off at 5kmph. Christ people tear ligaments getting out of bed. Bad luck is just that - it can happen at anytime on any type of bike. Hayden tagged or was tagged by another rider, so his off was probably more than a simple lowside. Nor do we know what Hayden was riding. It well could've been a XR80 or a little 1960's Ducati Scambler!

As for Insider above. Yeah tell motorcycle racers to stay off bikes. Ha, ha, an old concept, but strangely still one people churn out. What other professional athletes do you know of that don't train directly in their chosen field? If they exist they'll be the ones watching the leaders disappear into the distance. Ridiculous suggestion.

Every top modern rider I've read about trained at some other facet of the sport as well.

Check this out and you can see Jorge in action

Does anyone know why riders are so secretive about their training other than the typical "biking,rowing & running?" What exactly do they do in the weight room, what exercises,etc.... Every time I've had the opportunity to ask a rider they've given vague answers.
    What gives?

Does anybody know what Stoner and Lorenzo do for "Training" on and off the bike? Haven't heard of them getting hurt while training! They are 2 of the fastest men on the MotoGP grid... they may have a secret yet safe training regimen.

The way to do it, according to Rich Oliver, who was taught this by Kenny Roberts was use little bikes so when you fall, you don't fall very far. Kennny used to use Honda XR 75s on his ranch where many people trained: John Kocinski, Wayne Rainey, Edie Lawson to name a few. Also, that is where Rich Oliver trained and learned to slide (part of the learning process was getting laughed at by Kenny during and after he beat you pointing out all your mistakes ). Rich Oliver went on to be the winningest 250 GP rider in the US series. I recently attended Rich Oliver's Mystery School ( which I highly recommend !) where he teaches you how to slide. It's hard work but a good skill to work on. Rich uses little small TT 125 Yamaha's with a grippy dirt tire on the front and a street tire on the rear to ease sliding ( same setup I believe Kenny used on his XRs). So I think in summary, the pros we love to watch may avoid serious injuries if they stick to smaller, slower bikes for training; it worked for Kenny and everyone he taught ( even Lorenzo in 2007) And stick to bicyles or rowing or running for cardio. I read that the pros like to ride MX beacuse it is such a good work out; but look what happened to Rossi's shoulder after an MX crash!

correct me if my maths is off, but motogp rides only actually ride motogp bikes about 4.5hrs every race weekend, times that by 18 races and you end up with 80 hours a year that they spend on the bike, plus a few days of testing.
    i think its just plain dumbness to think that a rider can maintain and improve their ability without riding other motorcycles, and going at fairly fast speeds.
    This is motorcycle racing, accidents happen.

Bad luck for Hayden, but how are he and the others supposed to keep in touch with the feel of a sliding motorcycle if they don't ride dirtbikes in the off season.
    Many of the Aust and USA riders come from off road backgrounds and use dirtbikes offseason to refresh their skills.
    Could be also that they enjoy it as well.
    The question is how to do it with minimal risk and a minimum number of other riders being involved would be a start.

• Jerez MotoGP Round Confirmed For 2012, Negotiations Underway For 2013 And Beyond   2 years 42 weeks ago

re: "With Aragon, Barcelona and Valencia all confirmed through 2016, having four races in Spain is seen as detracting from MotoGP's stature as a World Championship."

curious, when's the last time any of those people visited the eye doctor...? 5 races confined to a peninsula is meaningless. i contend, the far greater threat to motogp's "world champion status" is CRT.

What is it with these guys? When will they learn not to play around with Motocross/flat-track bikes for 'training' in the off-season. Almost every single MotoGP rider has been caught out this way getting injuries that directly affect their ability to test or race their bikes. How come they are so dumb not to get it? This just would not be tolerated by team or personal managers in any other sport. Ride the MotoGP bikes, keep away from all other bikes. Why take the risks? The outcome is inevitable.

Come on Nicky? Don't be like Dani and start having a season full of injuries! Let's hope this is the last set-back for him. At least he won't be losing points for missing test sessions. Speedy recovery, Hayden.

Nooooooooo!!!!!!! Argh this is terrible news :( Oh well, it could be a lot worse. Glad his spirits seem to be holding up, and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Quick, stick him in the hyperbaric tank!

I think there's a very good chance there will be a 20-race calendar in the near future.

4 million euros for 4 years is merely the amount that the council will be contributing to the sanctioning fee. It does not necessarily comprise the entire sanctioning fee.

• MotoGP Silly Season 2013 Starts Early - Yamaha Keen To Hang On To Lorenzo   2 years 42 weeks ago

The discussion started with the question of whether a standard ECU would produce better racing in MotoGP, and my view was that it hadn't really helped in F1 so I doubt it will help much in MotoGP. But clearly there has to be an increasing disconnect between advancements in electronics and motor racing. Very soon driverless cars, or at least cars with auto pilot, will be commercially available. I for one have no interest in watching driverless cars racing. I am quite happy to concede that electronics need to be controlled or even wound back in MotoGP. I don't see a problem with electronics that control the engines, as long as the electronics have limited impact on rider inputs. We want the machines to be challenging to the point that only the very best riders can get the best out of them. That was certainly true of the 500s.

As to the goal of MotoGP, that is a tough one. MotoGP can never compete with F1. F1 is much more than just a sporting event. We see governments all over the world falling over themselves to hold F1 events. F1 is big business, big money, politics, political intrigue, glitz and glamour. F1 has Monaco, Singapore and soon New York, events where big business, sports stars, music stars, film stars and politics meet. MotoGP will never have a Monaco. That's just reality.

MotoGP is a more purely sporting event, but it is a niche market. I watch motorcycle racing like I watch kart racing or drag racing, as a purely sporting event that has limited general appeal in most markets. Motorcycle racing is surely the most visually elegant form of motorsport, but that doesn't translate into mass appeal.

I think CRT is a step in the right direction, as long as it maintains its focus as prototype racing. I would like to see WSBK step back towards its roots as production based racing. In fact I am highly doubtful that MotoGP and WSBK can or should continue as two separate world series. I am not convinced that it is economically sustainable, especially if there is a sustained world economic downturn in the near future.

• Scott Jones 2011 Retrospective: Round 1, Qatar   2 years 42 weeks ago

My vote would have to go to Simone Corsi. I love the Ioda livery.

The fact that electronics are non-sporting is actually the main reason I don't like them but since most fans of high-performance racing don't see it that way I don't usually bring it up. I think F1 was better with StdECU but nobody notice because F1 was overtake-starved, of course since I dislike electronics so much I realize that I was probably seeing things that weren't there.
    I think that the reason why the bikes can't be ridden without electronics is that they were developed around the electronics, no point developing a high-performance human-friendly power delivery if the computer is the one who controls the power. And I think that the only reason you need to take the power delivery to those regions is the arbitrary set of rules you've decided not the engineering limits (basically 800cc engines).
    There are many technologies involved in riding that you could take to the maximum expression in races but I don't see any one complaining that comfort level or the head lamps on a road bike are far better than on the racing bikes. They are bikes for racing and if racing is a human sport then reducing the human factor is (to me) like fitting softer springs that make going over bumps on the track more comfortable.
    Sepang was certainly the exception and not the rule but I feel that it doesn't need to be.

And Ezpeleta wants €3m a year for the Sachsenring? I doubt the Germans will want Andalucian signage around their track. Carmelo reeks of olive oil.

If they have to introduce separate specifications part of the requirements for CRT status should include team ownership of their bikes.

That seems to be what Borsoi is saying is the unwritten rule... he was keen to say that the team will own the Aprilia and "do whatever they like with it".

For the rest, I'll back down on the engine costs... although I have to wonder if many of the coating technologies aren't also lurking inside some WSBK motors. For the frames though... in the end, it's some fancy pressing equipment, a few hundred € of aluminium, a jig and a tig. Multiply by 10 if you want to go nuts and machine more of it out of billet. It's the same process for an RSA125 (€12k retail for the frame, €4k5 for the swingarm), a wsbk swingarm (FTR prices: same as RSA125), moto2 or CRT or MotoGP.

What is the goal?
    Your point about Asia is interesting. My suspicion is that F1 is about dreams: dreaming that you are king of the world, driving the fastest car faster than anyone else and pulling all the chicks. It's the standard adolescent male fantasy that keeps us alive until we crash the wheel chair on the down ramp from the old-folks home.

Motorcycles are just a cheaper alternative... and that alone is bad in cultures where wealth is sexy of itself.

So... MotoGP will never have as much money as F1. It can't compete with that fantasy. Bikes will always be, relatively speaking a niche market for people who not only ride bikes, but prefer to ride than drive. That comes from a long cultural involvement with motorcycling, not a few video clips. It will probably sell much better in South America than East & SE Asia.

Ok, suppose that's true. The amount of money available is finite. The capacity to absorb money is not, but there is an effect of reducing returns: do €5M bikes pull twice the spectator interest as €2.5M bikes? Would it not be better to work out what is an accessible and feasible market, then work on pleasing that... rather than seeking to continually expand in the illusion of competing with F1?

David,
    Formula 1 has a 20-race calendar, could MotoGP do the same to fit in the new races?

Electronics are probably a factor in processional races, I wouldn't dispute that. The problem is that where high performance engines are involved electronics rule the world. Safety is only one part of the picture. Electronics certainly do increase bike performance significantly. Electronics also improve fuel efficiency. The levels of performance being achieved, both power per liter, power/torque spread, and fuel efficiency, was unthinkable just a few years ago. Note Stoner's comment, that current MotoGP bikes would be unrideable without electronics.

Rossi's win at Sepang was the exception rather than the rule. Pedrosa and Stoner out, Lorenzo riding for points.

I have watched every F1 and MotoGP race since the mid 1980's. I have followed all the controversies in both series. I can tell you that the standard ECU made no difference to racing in F1 and the F1 world agrees with me. This was a surprise to me as it was to a lot of people, because I fundamentally oppose the use of traction control in motor racing as being non-sporting.

The problem for F1 and MotoGP is similar. Do they want to continue to be technologically the pinnacle of motorsport? I'd say yes they do, as long as the technology is not limiting the ability of riders to make a difference in a sporting contest. MotoGP needs the best riders in the world on the fastest road racing machines on earth. Otherwise who cares? MotoGP has a problem promoting itself anyway. I have spent a lot of time in parts of Asia where motorbikes are the main form of transport, but despite this F1 visibly has a far bigger following than MotoGP, even in the poorer parts of Asia. This has always been a surprise to me. MotoGP needs to be very careful that it doesn't dumb down the show in search of closer racing to the point that it loses what makes it special. It is prototype racing after all, and in my view it needs to stay that way.

• Casey Stoner Interview: On Riding Fast, Emulating Doohan, Dealing With The Media, And Selective Memory   2 years 42 weeks ago

Asking Casey how he goes so fast is like asking Michangleo how he painted the ceiling! Casey is attire artist & 'FEEL' is everything & can't be explained to mere mortals! !!