Recent comments

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Sunday Round Up: Is A Marquez Win Still A Spoiler?   2 weeks 2 days ago

I was under the impression that flowing was exactly where the understeer was worst. Point/shoot they could square the corners off.

• Alex De Angelis Announced As Colin Edwards' Replacement At Forward Racing For Rest Of 2014   2 weeks 2 days ago

I guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but does anyone know if Edwards' decision to take his retirement early was his, or his teams? I know there are lots of Edwards fans on this board but walking away from full time competition in the middle of the season, without any explanation, looks really poor IMO.

Of course I know nothing of his situation so maybe I shouldn't judge, but I like it when people see their commitments through to the end.

• The Next Piece In The MotoGP Puzzle: Cal Crutchlow To LCR Honda In 2015   2 weeks 2 days ago

I have to agree with those saying that Cal made a huge thing about getting the factory Ducati ride because he could make it work like Stoner did. I also have to agree with those who say that money is his master. All I can see is that he has done as well as he's going to and that is better than any other Brit who has swapped from the other series in years but we're still looking for the one to make a successful transition!

Thanks, great stuff, very well written up

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Post-Race Press Releases   2 weeks 2 days ago

The half race was quite intense and entertaining...a bit stunned watching Rossi so aggressive and manage to maintain lead on may laps before Marc and JLo passed him...it is emotional to recall in past decade when Rossi can always pull a 'racing-magic' that put him ahead -either on slower bike, low start grid, etc - that makes the like of Biaggi & Gibernau a regular loser... it must be hard for him to finally taste the other end at the moment, or perhaps he become used to it after 2 years at ducati? Speaking ducati, Dovi & Dalligna optimism may still have a loong way for fruitful result...they happy to see ducati can mess around at front during half race but such is not a new feat at all for ducati...remind those first ducati motogp years in 2003-2004 Capirossi-Bayliss always mixed in the front runners -sometime podium and few wins- before most of time settle in 10 ten at end of race...ducati nearly found perfect formula in 2006 before a complicated change to 800cc a year after. Off course, nobody believe ducati 2007 win is because superior bike rather than Casey Stoner...but after that ducati start a constant downhill path...until now or ?

What is the point of not allowing bikes to use the hardest option? Don't tell me. let me guess. It is a leftover rule from the CRT days. Where would Dovi have finished if he had a hard rear tyre?

As for the Ducati being fast it is a flowing track. This does not show up the understeer problem.

• Forward Racing Press Release: Colin Edwards To Retire, But Will Race At Silverstone   2 weeks 2 days ago

Hope we will still see and hear Colins great experience, straight talking and keen wit in the MotoGP paddock for many a season to come. Great rider and a character who will surely be missed by many. All the best to you and your family.

Marquez is absolutely amazing. He has a few tenths in hand due to sheer talent, and that combined with his superior race craft, great bike, love of the battle and generally high racing IQ, makes saying he is exceptional an understatement of epic proportions.

But the thought of him winning every race this year has been little more than an entertaining tease to me, and it still is. There are far too many mountains to climb to think this type of perfection is a possibility for 18 consecutive races, in spite of how easily folks toss that possibility around.

First, there is Pedrosa. As utterly destroyed mentally as he may be, and outgunned by a man of greater talent, racecraft and cajones, he has proven year after year that when things are perfect for him, he is virtually unbeatable. When those stars align AND he gets one of his lightning starts, it will be one of those typically boring and unpopular wins, since those types of races are rarely interesting, nor is watching Pedrosa ride (in comparison to MM93 or CS27) nor is watching his interviews post race.

Second, there is the bike. I said this earlier this season, but judging by the number of times that Rossi has beaten Pedrosa (I chose Rossi because I still consider him the slightly weaker of the Yamaha duo), that means to me that the Honda is NOT the all-conquering dominator that it was made out to be. We've all come to realize now that it was Marquez making the difference, although the bike does have some distinct advantages.

That then opens the door for the resurgent Lorenzo. When he is on his game, dude is fast and tough as nails, and with him gradually gaining confidence and fitness, you get the feeling that he will be a man on a mission to deny Marquez at one of his stronger tracks, and if it came down to it, I'd have to to say Valencia as the last race of the season is one of his best. At that point, if it came to that, I'd think his motivation would be FAR higher than Marquez', who would have wrapped up the championship LONG before that.

Then there is Rossi, with the heart of a lion, you feel like if he gets his setup and quali right, he could be there to fight in every race, but he generally just lacks a couple tenths of pace. For him to deny Marquez a victory would the most popular of victories, and I suspect few people would mind seeing Rossi beat him in a straight fight for the pure racing entertainment and post-race reaction value.

But if all these things are obvious barriers to this great feat, the one thing that has plagued every rider since the beginning of time has been tiny issues...a setup problem, an unanticipated weather or track effect, a slightly inconsistent tire....which inexplicably and invisibly to all of us, but always described as "not having the right feeling" by the rider, prevents them from getting the most out of their potential. Marquez has been immune to that so far, but it just seems impossible for that never to strike for an entire season.

Then there is bad luck...like Rossi's tire at COTA, or bike gremlins that are remarkably non-existent these days but can happen any time, or racing incidents born from mistakes or over-exuberance of other riders (Bradl and Crutchlow at Mugello, Bautista on Rossi last year at Mugello, Bautista on Lorenzo two years ago). These things happen, and I'm actually surprised that they don't occur more frequently given how on-the-limit these guys are and the surprising amount of actual contact there is. One only needed to watch the first 5 laps from Indy to wonder how all these guys actually stay on these bikes.

Weather...anything can happen.

A mistake by Marquez.....it is possible, although he seems infallible at the moment, and was remarkably so during his entire rookie season bar Mugello. I can think of two or three racing moments this season when most riders would have gone down, but Marquez somehow bailed himself out, most notably at Assen in mixed conditions when he merely ran off track and gave up a few seconds to Dovi, but that was a HUGE moment.

I say all these things simply to express my opinion that Marquez won't win every race...I wouldn't even give it a 50% chance at this time, nor will I give it any higher probability if he keeps winning. Personally, I hope he does as it will be something we have never seen by someone with talent and style like we have never seen. And if it does happen, we know we are in for a few more barn burners that will have us all on the edge if our seats, even if the championship is long over.

This is still VERY entertaining to me, and as a huge F1 fan, I have practically forgotten that F1 exists relative to what we see in MotoGP. One only needs to watch Marquez ride a fast lap, then watch Hamilton drive a fast lap, and then explain what they saw, to explain the difference in entertainment value. (IMO)

Can't wait to see how all this plays out!!! :)

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 2 days ago

i bet many will be disappointed would Marquez lose a race this season.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 2 days ago

He just needed a bit of motivation I guess...(#sarcasm)

Created, set free and now nobody can put a harness on it, let alone put it back in the cage.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Sunday Round Up: Is A Marquez Win Still A Spoiler?   2 weeks 3 days ago

A little bit of preface is required for me to explain the necessity of this post with that heading. As a rule over the years I have come to not like and support Honda and I really do not know if there is any rationale in that. This makes me support riders on other motorcycles and Yamaha is what I like from the rest. I was very happy when Valentino Rossi was doing so well on the Yamaha. But the arrival of Marc Marquez has changed everything. I no longer look at the motorcycle; only the rider. It doesn't bother me in the least that he rides a Honda. I see the kid going and that makes me wish that he wins the race.

Ten out of ten, well it has been done before, but not like it is being done now. I am a great admirer of Mick Doohan but was never his fan since he rode a Honda. I was more of a Wayne Rainey fan and was very comfortable that he rode a Yamaha. But Marquez is so special and so exciting to watch that everything else is not important. I think the only way that Marquez will not win a race this season is if he does not finish a race. Either mechanical troubles, a mistake made by him or being punted out of the race seems the only way that he will not win. The rest of the season will be great because it will show what Marquez will do. Eight races are way too many to bet on his winning every single one of them. So for me it is like what will prevent him from winning. It really is exciting indeed.

When it is all many people expect to hear now. But on another note, you could say something like "barn burner pack fight" and ignore Marquez altogether. (Joking). Those first laps had me going. Even though I was not at home and had to watch the technical issue tv version called Fox Sports. Gotta watch it again on motogp website to see what I missed.

Marquez was Marquez. Rossi put in a good fight. REAL good fight. Lorenzo is showing good form, so good that I thought he really had a good chance of winning. I also feel that Ducati is 2/3 better than it was last year. Do I seemed faster in some corners than Rossi... I will say that again for those that did not read it or understand. Dovisioso on a DUCATI seemed to be faster in some corners than Rossi. It has been YEARS since Ducati seemed faster in any type or part of a corner. Even though Marquez won, the race gave me a lot of hope in many different wAys. Rossi scrapping, Lorenzo on pace, Ducati handling better. Great write up David to an interesting race.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

Really a shame we didn't get to see more of that battle. Sounds like it was close for most of the race. I have a feeling that the Duc's power advantage on the straights was the factor that decided that exchange. Even if Crutchlow didn't get the new juiced-up engine (I never heard if they confirmed who all got the new engine) he posted one of the fastest top speeds of the day. We have next year to look forward to with these two men on similar machinery. Even if Gresini stays with the Nissin/Showa package for Redding I will be pulling for him to beat Cal every Sunday. Amazing that he is getting so much out of that proddie bike.

• 2014 Indianapolis Moto2 Race Result: The Gap Narrows   2 weeks 3 days ago

Josh probably won't be back next year in Moto2. He simply is not competitive at this level. But I really felt for him today. He was unfortunate to get collected in the mess at turn 2 on the restart. He was just out of the points in 16th prior to the red flag. Really too bad. Hopefully he can manage to finish some more races in the second half and maybe even grab a point in the championship.

• Forward Racing Press Release: Colin Edwards To Retire, But Will Race At Silverstone   2 weeks 3 days ago

Maybe one of these times when you have boot camp I'll do more than just drop in and watch.

Thanks for many many years of racing memories.

Cheers and beers.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

The race was good, the track is immensely improved, Rossi was aggressive, Dovi's first half of the race was pretty good (for a Ducati), Lorenzo seems on a recovery path, Marquez didn't just rode into the sunset, I think it was a decent gathering.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

Overall a good race. At the start both Rossi and Dov clogged up the pipe holding the rest of the field back. After they were passed the pace picked up by the really fast two riders. If memory serves, Stoner on the Honda used to take it easy at the start of the races and after the fuel burned off some would get in the groove and start racing. That seems to me to be a trait of the Honda. Full tank.....cautious racing. Lighter tank....head 'em up and move 'em out.

Pedrosa needs to shape up and he will, although I'm not a real big fan of him. LIke they say 'best rider to never win a championship'.

Rossi won't pass Pedrosa in the standings by the end of the year. No way. He's toooo slow. When he gets in the lead he can't build on the lead. After he gets passed and loses the tow.........falls back faster and faster. He'll be lucky to hold on to third place by the end of the year.. Some riders like Smith placed much higher than they should have and only due to other riders falling out of the race

Ducatis .........still around twenty seconds behind at the end of the race. Dovi got on the front row by getting a tow from Marquez during qualifying. Ah, remember the old days a couple of years ago where Hector Barbara was soundly chastized for looking for a tow during qualifying? Now they all seem to be looking for a tow, other than Marquez.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

Yeah, I don't miss the Fox coverage. The MotoGp video pass is well worth it. I get to watch all three races with no interruptions (the MotoGp race didn't seem to suffer any power outage that I saw or heard). Not only do I not miss football players, stock cars, and monster trucks driving across the bottom of the screen during a race, I feel truly lucky to not have to listen to Ralph Shaheen.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

Talking about coverage: the motogp.com livestream managed not to show a single shot of Colin Edwards in his last home GP. And he was riding a pretty decent race as well, being in the points from early on. I Would have loved to see him ride in those leathers too!
    Yes, in the opening laps there was a good excuse to stay focused at the front group, but especially in the latter stages there was plenty of opportunity to show some footage of the group Edwards was fighting in. Instead they chose to show us endless slomos of Marquez and other uneventful stuff. Shame on them.

P.S. Apart from that, great race to watch! Some of the more exuberant youngsters (Rossi) were pretty on the limit. Brilliant.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

Rossi within a few points of Dani...

Would be interesting to see if he can make 2nd

4000 points...

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

Paying for the MotoGP.com Video Pass is worth every penny...

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

Lots of negativity here, unwarranted in my opinion. We saw a great race with good hard overtaking (although Rossi's bump into Dovi was a bit much) and decent performances throughout the field. Lorenzo was just a tenth a lap or so short, but I think the race was decided when Lorenzo was busy passing Rossi, right at that moment Marquez put in a 32.8 and opened to the gap by half a second.

I think I'm gonna bet for Lorenzo to win at Brno. He's looking like his old self again.

• 2014 Indianapolis MotoGP Race Result: A Doohan Redux   2 weeks 3 days ago

The only entity that should really not be happy by Marquez's winning streak is Dorna and good for reason...with the premier class all but locked up you can bet this will have affect on attendance.