Recent comments

• The Candid Cal Crutchlow Interview, Part 1 - His Toughest Year Yet, Adapting To The Ducati   2 weeks 3 days ago

Everyone saw this coming. Cal is a great rider and an even better fellow, but this situation was as easy to predict as a daily sunset. I just hope his wallet is much heavier now in return for sacrificing a season aboard that Ducati.

• 2014 Magny-Cours World Superbike Sunday Round Up: Team Suggestions   2 weeks 3 days ago

Giulliano is very consistent. as soon as he gets in a good position, he crashes.

Guintoli is doing fine job geting the points, but TBO, Sykes is faster than him, and Melandri is killing him from Sepang on. There is no such thing as undeserved World title, but...I think it should go to a fighter and a powerfull winner. Guintoli seems to be only winning now and then, under special circumstances.

• UPDATED - The 2015 MotoGP Rider Line Up So Far - 2 Seats Left To Fill   2 weeks 3 days ago

Miller and Crutchlow at LCR Honda; both known as modest unassuming types aren't they?

Good garage to place a charity swear-box for Riders for Health..

• Alex Lowes To Stay With Voltcom Suzuki In World Superbikes For 2015   2 weeks 3 days ago
    Baz

I thought he'd joined Forward Yamaha?

But the thing is this is meant to be a race, and in sport you assume that all do their best. If a footballer is told to give way in a match (maybe deliberately let a goal in) I reckon the fraud squad would be called (all right, I doubt if there is large betting on WSBK). Or imagine these guys were boxers.

If this is meant to be manufacturers championship 1st and riders 2nd, then that should be made clear.

But yes, racing motorcycles costs a load of money and the factories have their sponsors to keep happy, but everyone knows he was told to throw both races, so where's the kudos in that ultimate win for Guintoli / Aprilia? I guess it should have been more disguised and then it wouldn't be an issue...

Guinters didn't look delighted with himself after race 1 and looked more miffed after Race 2. And now whoever takes the title, if it is close, we all know that both Kawasaki and Aprilia have manipulated race results; look how furious Baz was, he beat Sykes fair and square, everyone could see that, and then had to move over at the last bend.

Understandable commercially, but good sport? Dunno.

He also benefited from Baz waving him through. That could make the difference in the end.

Both Aprilia and Kawasaki don't come out of this looking good.

The Ducati has had the exact same issue since 2007, and without Stoner their results have been pretty much the same for 8 years. The new engine and chassis layout is the only thing that will change their fortunes, I really can't wait to see the 2015 bike.

I seem to remember Superglue letting Charpentier past once or twice in 2006 to help him out after he came back from injury and nobody batted an eyelid.

Given how much Aprilia have spent on the effort to win the title they have every right to issue instructions to the riders if there's a risk of losing everything otherwise. The riders are employees of the company, just like everybody else and with things being so close at the top of the standings, at this point of the season, the points Guintoli missed out on could very well end up deciding things.

If the situation on the points table was different and there were less points between the two, then yes, of course you'd let each have their fair shot at it as there'd still be a good chance of an Aprilia taking the title either way. With Marco being so far down in the standings, while he does have an arithmetic chance, it would take a complete disaster for both Guintoli and Sykes combined with Marco winning the remaining races for him to take it.

But as it stands now, if I was the team manager, I'd be less than impressed.

Although, I'd expect the riders to come to agreement themselves, simply because it makes sense, both for the team and the factory, I would have no hesitation in issuing instructions to them.

Ask yourself, Jared... If you were managing the team, what would you do?

• 2014 Magny-Cours World Superbike Sunday Round Up: Team Suggestions   2 weeks 4 days ago

Now THOSE were team orders, dammit!

Compare what happened here to the utter bulls**t about "team orders" that Laverty tried to spin after Moscow 2012. No one can still believe his crap, can they?

I'll bet Marco has win bonuses in the contracts with his personal sponsors, and that not giving up the win in Race Two was worth more than a few lira to him ...

We need more "bad boys" in motorcycle racing.
    I think Corser nailed it by saying if he (Guintoli) can't win straight up, he didn't deserve the championship anyway.

That sure looked like one of Marco's mechanics. He is the one who picked up the bike when Marco almost dropped it coming into Parc Ferme. Not sure who he is but then Romano is unmistakable due to his height....

• 2014 Magny-Cours World Supersport Race: Attrition And Air Fences   2 weeks 4 days ago

And given how he crashed out at Phillip Island (and his position before the red flag iirc) you could well say he managed a whole season no lower then second with one race to go

Ok

Sure looked like him, but I could very easily be wrong. Ideas on who it was?

The person who hit Melandri with a cap at Parc Ferme was not Romano Albesiano....

• MotoAmerica Announce 2015 Rules Package - Bring AMA Closer To WSBK Class Structure   2 weeks 4 days ago

Adopting the FIM Superbike rules was what ultimately destroyed the Australian Superbike Championship. No one could afford it. And this in the HOME of Superbike racing! There is a private promoter running a break-away series which is very successful. THAT series has a set of rules that work for Australia, not a bunch of greedy Spaniards.

The US had very successful racing for many years running its own set of rules.

However, if MotoAmerica can get industry support for the FIM Superbike & Supersport classes, that is an excellent start.

For a spec class, adopt 125 two-stroke singles, same as the most successful spec. class on the planet, Karting!

They had a nutty German heading the CIKFIA in the early 2000s who wanted to go all clean green and that other baloney four-stroke nonsense, but he was chucked out and the two-stroke engine was reinstated, and now Karting leaves motorcycle racing for dead in terms of the numbers of participants - around the world.

Check the regs here: http://www.cikfia.com/fileadmin/content/REGULATIONS/Technical/Technical%...

The Dorna classes are "buy your ride" classes.

Is that what MotoAmerica wants?

• 2014 Magny-Cours World Superbike Race Two: Thirteen DNFs   2 weeks 4 days ago

I think it's really simple:
    Imagine if you will the scene in the Aprila garage after race one. . . . . . . .
    Aprilia boss: "Thanks for taking the fall Marco, we appreciate it."
    Marco: "I could have won that race."
    Aprilia boss: "Yeah, we know. Thanks."
    Marco: "I don't think you understand. I should have won. You told me not to. So I think I should still get my victory bonus."
    Aprilia boss:"Um. No. The bonus is only if you win. Sorry, but thanks again."
    Marco: "Oh, so if this happens again, I still won't get my bonus?"
    Aprilia boss: "Uhhhhhh......yeaahhhh......"
    Marco: "Oh. O.k.".

All conjecture of course. ;)

• 2014 Magny-Cours World Superbike Race One: Beat Your Teammate   2 weeks 4 days ago

I'm not a fan of team orders (granted I'm also a fan of Marco so maybe I'm a bit biased). Despite that, it did add a bit of drama to the event, although the rather annoying kind.

Crash in the race and then still finish second, that's pretty cool... When Van der Mark went down, I really thought 'Too bad his string of just first and second places will come to an end now'. How wrong I was. Well done sir.

• 2014 Magny-Cours World Superbike Race Two: Thirteen DNFs   2 weeks 4 days ago

Although it may be not that much fun for most of the riders, I do like watching races in the wet (from my dry couch, that is). There's always a lot of tension, especially in this late stage of the championship, when the title is coming so close. Things can change completely during races like this; collecting points safely is almost impossible. Even when someone is miles ahead, it's still not a done deal. And Magny-Cours seems to be extremely slippery in the wet, looking at all the crashes with hardly any lean angle. Or the Pirellis don't match with this surface. Anyway I was biting my nails.

As for team orders: I think they're completely understandable and even justified. Motorcycle racing is in many ways a team sport, and it would be stupid/unprofessional to rob your team of a world title when you are (realistically) not in the chase yourself anymore. In 2009 a lot of people blamed or even ridiculed Ducati for letting Fabrizio in the closing stages take away lots of points from his team mate Haga, who then lost the title to Ben Spies on the Yamaha. At the same time many people say team orders should be forbidden (which is of course impossible).

Anyway, Guintoli seemed more or less okay with Melandri's win in race two, being the sports man that he is. I think almost all riders want to win it on their own merit instead of being gifted a win. The Aprilia team will think a bit differently, of course.
    In any case, Qatar is going to be a proper thriller now! With Melandri in a key role...

Any news on what Melandri is going to ride next year? I thought he was going to be in a factory-supported 'private' Aprilia team in Superbikes..? Is he jumping ship to another manufacturer?

• Loris Baz Confirmed With Forward Racing In MotoGP For 2015   2 weeks 5 days ago

Looking at Baz's CV I don't really see what qualifies him for GP apart from being French. I have my doubts about what he'll be able to achieve and I don't think his height will have much to do with it.

• MotoAmerica Announce 2015 Rules Package - Bring AMA Closer To WSBK Class Structure   2 weeks 5 days ago

Moto2 is an underpowered spec-Honda 600cc engine, with a primitive spec ECU, yet Moto2 produces MotoGP champions because riders cannot make mistakes or going a tenth slow on any given weekend. The field is too deep, and the prototype chassis regulations allow the teams and riders to engineer additional speed at each round.

KRAVE need to think about what they are doing. The four class system they have proposed will probably not concentrate the remaining AMA talent, especially when you consider the competing desires of the American distributors. Furthermore, FIM production regulations are not designed to produce the sharpest riders on earth, but to make the major bike manufacturers happy about racing production machines.

KRAVE must design a rulebook that is tailored to the US production market, and that meets their mission statement as the premier talent-development series in the world. FIM rules set will only make AMA another brick in the wall. It's going to take more than patriotic flag-waving to make AMA work again.

• 2014 Magny-Cours World Supersport Qualifying: Quick Conditions   2 weeks 5 days ago

Indeed very impressive performance of Mahias! I must admit I didn't even know him. Surely he will be a regular contender next year??
    And the Yamaha YZF-R6 is still a good race bike, it appears. I have a feeling anyway that the Honda CBR600RR is performing above its real status, thanks to a very well-oiled team and an excellent rider. (But that's not an unusual phenomenon in production-based racing; the technical capabilities of the team often seem to have more impact than the type of bike.)

I think Bradley Smith is right. Marco Simoncelli had obvious problems to fit on the Honda RC212V, and he was 'only' 1,83 m.
    They even had to cut away parts of the fairing. And while you can always reposition seat and foot pegs relative to the handlebars so that you will fit nicely, it will probably mess up the designed weight distribution.

Being 1,93 m myself, I am curious to see how Baz will do. And how he will look on the rostrum next to Pedrosa ;-)

What does Dorna want in the short and long future? I know they want $$$ and where are those $$$? Obviously it's in broadcast rights, in whatever form that may take. Given the current economies throughout the world that means proddy based racing with the MotoGP levels presented as the Crown Jewel.

It will take some fanciful dancing by all parties to make this happen. I look forward to it.

Nice to see a wildcard running at the front so far in a world series.
    It's also nice to see considering Mahias has run the few wildcards for the avant garde prototype Transfiormers in Moto2 if i recall correctly, puts the performance of that bike in a better perspective.