Recent comments

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   5 days 21 hours ago

Get all the old racing dads out before the main race and see what they can do. Helmut, Graziano, etc.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Can racing ever be too safe?   5 days 22 hours ago

... highly successful in bsb and no slouch in TT.

But I largely agree. However the people who race circuits and those who race on roads are probably as different from each other as those who climb with and without ropes. For one group, it's about doing something extremely dangerous but minimizing the risk; for the other, it's about taking much bigger risks.

• Post-Sachsenring Surgery Update - Arm Pump Operation For Crutchlow, More Wrist Surgery For Hayden   5 days 22 hours ago

'Doctors completed a top-end pneumaticvalvectomy for Mr Hayden, and cut the sheathing surrounding the contractual legalities for Mr Crutchlow with success.'
    ;)

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Can racing ever be too safe?   5 days 23 hours ago

I think you're right, and I hope it was nothing more than a daft provocative suggestion. But look around at the comments on various motorsport sites from people praising the TT, moaning that tracks are "too safe," that marketing danger is a good idea. You start to wonder. A few months back Roadracing World ran a letter to the editor from a reader demanding more open road racing coverage and - I am not making this up - calling the racers who did circuits "pussies."

Yipes.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Can racing ever be too safe?   6 days 1 hour ago

Understood. Perhaps it's because I didn't see anything in Oxley's proposal other than a daft provocative suggestion that would never happen in a million years. In my view it's neither possible nor credible. My comments are based upon world championship series, not club racing or road racing.

Tracks and operators that meet FIA/Dorna requirements for track condition and facilities for MGP are a long way from standard circuit operations. I'm no expert, but track days and club races operate with a far lower level of facilities that national series, never mind world, and the F1 is a different level again of course. That's probably the exemplar that everyone is aspiring to.

Bales wouldn't be acceptable in a national race in the UK (I cannot remember the last time I saw any) and you don't see them much in places like the IOM or NW200. Air fences and foam bales etc have become de rigeur for any 'hot spots', and they are increasing the stock and coverage year on year.

But MGP is some way above that. Their level of performance would put them at much higher risk than even top road racers. Which is why I think that slowing the bikes down has to be the only way to reduce risks to an 'acceptable' level. It won't make much difference to most fast corners in terms of the challenge, but consequences should be rolled back a meaningful amount.

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 2 hours ago
    SBS

Now that was s damn good channel, in fact it was through watching SBS that I came back to watching bikes, as well as seeing some of the best world cinema ever.

• Post-Sachsenring Surgery Update - Arm Pump Operation For Crutchlow, More Wrist Surgery For Hayden   6 days 3 hours ago

Hey's the Kentucky Kid! Toughest bastard in the paddock. Keep kicking ass Nicky. Less bones = less weight. Less weight = faster acceleration. I see what he's doing there.

I took a look at the description of this surgery.
    I am not a doctor, but it looks like a big gamble.
    I really hope it works for him, I am sure he can performance well if fit.

• Post-Sachsenring Surgery Update - Arm Pump Operation For Crutchlow, More Wrist Surgery For Hayden   6 days 4 hours ago

I saw Kevin Schantz wrist close up several times before he retired, it was as thick from the top as it was from side to side, really bad. I hope he gets over it.

• Post-Sachsenring Surgery Update - Arm Pump Operation For Crutchlow, More Wrist Surgery For Hayden   6 days 5 hours ago

I'd never heard of a PCR, but "ectomy" suffix told me they were pulling parts out of him. That sounds pretty drastic. "Let's pull some bones out of this guy and not put them back."

Heal well, Nicky.

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 5 hours ago

Agree 100% about the differences between the Ducati DNA and the Honda DNA. And don't forget, some fish CAN fly and Harley-Davidson is Godzilla in flat track (and drag racing too, I believe).

• Tito Rabat To Remain With Marc VDS In Moto2 For 2015   6 days 6 hours ago

No...its his birth certificate thats dated 1982!

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Can racing ever be too safe?   6 days 6 hours ago

I've been around long enough to know that proposed safety improvements usually are rejected by track owners as they are "not practicable." I know guys who have been thrown out of race tracks for asking that hay bales be placed in front of concrete abutments. It is when a desired customer threatens to go elsewhere that changes get made. So practicable is in the eye of the beholder.

Read my first response again, and Mat's column. In the first paragraph, he asks if MotoGP shouldn't go back to the Isle. And during the off-season, when David and I were having this same discussion, he opined that marketing the danger of the sport was a way of gathering larger audiences. It is that sentiment - that danger to the riders is necessary to the economic health of this sport and to the enjoyment of it by spectators - that concerns me.

Believe me, I get your point. Risk is relative. I like doing my long solo (endurance-type) races because I feel the risk is lower - fewer competitors, less pressure to pass someone immediately, etc. The fact that I race at all is off the charts in terms of risk for many people I know.

And trust me - Honda and Yamaha do not spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year to compete in MotoGP because they like the "sport" of it. As one of the announcers for a BSB race once said, "The answer to 99 questions out of 100 is money."

• Post-Sachsenring Surgery Update - Arm Pump Operation For Crutchlow, More Wrist Surgery For Hayden   6 days 7 hours ago

Hope this surgery fixes the aches.

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 12 hours ago

Well ... I've lived for extended periods in both Britain and Australia as well as some other countries.

I don't think anyone would dismiss Britain as an important market for MotoGP, and I can tell you that _per capita_, I think there's more awareness of and interest in MotoGP in Australia than there is in Britain - perhaps it's something to do with us having three GP world champions in the past 25 years or so ...

Most people in Australia, in my experience, would have at least a fleeting idea who Casey Stoner is. In Britain, if I said Carl Fogarty, Neil Hodgson, Valentino Rossi, Cal Crutchlow or a similar name to the average person I'd be met wth a blank expression.

My point is that it's not so much the size of the overall potential market/population here, as we have a small population. Rather it's the proportion of those people who will take an interest _if there's an Aussie riding in MotoGP_. If you keep it free to air, you'll capture a lot more of that interest, but if you go to pay-TV you'll lose the people at the margins who would otherwise watch but are not prepared to pay for a subscription.

Perhaps Dorna have done the calculations and figured out that they can afford to lose the marginal fan base if they get paid enough for the broadcast rights. I hope not though.

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 15 hours ago

Many thanks for the information.

I'm a Suzuki fan. I would love to see Dovi comes to the team but I think he will stay at Ducati.

Its Gresini Go n Fun bro. Rea is not moving to GP. Too many variables & asses available for the good seats in the GP Paddock itself.

Plus I recall him being diplomatic about it in one interview but you could tell from his face that he would have loved that but accepted that its wishful thinking and becomes unlikely as he ages. He has been taken the same way Hayden has been for a few years.. very talented and dedicated, taken advantage of, dumped/forgotten to the backstage.

Oiii!!!Don't call the Kawi Livery crappy :X

I agree about the Harley though :D

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 16 hours ago

Ducati races for the same reason wolves howl at the moon.

Honda, at its root a small engine company, races for the same reason a tractor pulls stuff or Godzilla breaks stuff.

Suzuki races because Honda does, but with really crappy livery and electronics on a fraction of the budget. They focus on national level, w solid contingency programs for average club racers on up to major national teams.

Kawasaki races for the same reason Suzuki does, with equally crappy but different livery and electronics, as a more motorcycle focused company.

Yamaha races for the same reason that people sing in the shower, they can't help it and it feels nice, especially when they beat Honda the ubiquitous engine company while harmonizing bike-rider-track like Lennon-McCartney-Harrison.

Aprilia races for the same reason that people spend too much on shirts from concerts. It proves they were there and chicks dig it while they kid themselves they look great in a tee shirt and jeans.

Harley Davidson doesn't race for the same reason that fish don't fly.

Triumph races for the same reason that people get orthodontics...infrequently and w mixed results as Englishmen, but that triple has interesting character much alike that gap in the teeth.

BMW goes racing for the same reason that at mid life a man gets a convertible and has an affair w his secretary.

Go ahead w the 2 stars, this is an Illmore of a post if you ask me, but there does seem to be a big difference in the DNA of Ducati and Honda. Honda is more bent on dominating every aspect of engineering that has to do with a motor rather than justvracing motorcycles. They are Godzilla.

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 18 hours ago

It would be great to see that .... And them against team Marquez, and team Lowe, and team Lavertys. Any other siblings that could pair up? I suppose VR could cheat a little and use Louis Rossi ;-)

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Can racing ever be too safe?   6 days 18 hours ago

You are just not understanding my point.

I didn't bring in the road racing to the safety issue, you did.

I haven't said stone walls or Armco next to a tight or negligible track run-off are acceptable, you have implied I did. I just pointed out that you were not correct in your statement about the IOM. The same as you are wrong in stating anyone who matters promotes high risk. It's racing, speed, and excitement that gets promoted. When accidents happen, especially the worst ones, it's kept low-key and respectful. To suggest anything else is disingenuous.

Racing is not primarily about selling motorcycles either IMO. The sponsors and statistics show that. It's sport.
    The IOM or road racing isn't going to return to the world championship, so why make that point? You cannot prove that point any more than I can prove no one is ever going to get killed at PI or Sachsenring. Sepang was designed to the highest standards thought necessary. The worst accident in a long time didn't involve run-off. Most of the worst accidents (i.e fatal) in the past 10 years at world championship level haven't involved run-off. Are you suggesting that racing, or wet weather racing, therefore must be stopped?

I call all this acceptable risk and adequate safety, but things can and should be improved when practicable to do so. You seem to deal in absolutes only.

Howling at the moon... that's what wolves do. And Ducati races. Even if you can extend that reasoning to Aprilia, you can't stretch that logic far enough to explain Suzuki, in my opinion. Unlike Ducati (and Honda and Yamaha), I don't believe racing is fundamental to the Suzuki DNA.

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 22 hours ago

There might be more Aussies watching than you think - most of my friends watch it, then again most of them ride - but your comment is pretty fair.

However I suspect that Dorna is driven as much by the demands of the participants as by its own revenue streams, and Australia is on a per capita basis a pretty big motorcycle market... even if not all riders bother with MotoGP. I'm sure I recall reading that Oz was actually Ducati's largest market outside of Italy in the late eighties/early nineties, and I still remember wondering in amazement at how many 916s I saw when out and about, at a time when a GSX-R was $12k and a 916 was well over double that.

So maybe its Honda and Yamaha pushing to retain and grow the Australian television audience.

As for the commentary team - I'm over Nick Harris, but I understand that there's certainly worse options out there...

Once again the comments section hits the ball out of the park :)

Very nice, Motoshrink.

Another thought that came to mind was a comment I read many years ago... "Ducati goes racing for the same reason that wolves howl at the moon".

• The Comprehensive Midsummer MotoGP Silly Season Update - Ducati, Suzuki, Aprilia, Satellite Rides, Moto2 And Much More   6 days 23 hours ago

Well said re Herve Poncheral Whoragerider. Tech 3 has a very special place in the paddock for both his relationship established w Yamaha AND this ability to place riders.

His own mental imprisonment' re JL99 - love it. Lorenzo though just has that temperament and has/can/will create a key to his own cell. His awareness is placed a bit more closely and sharply relative to the Rossi/Marquez diffuse open dance. He got Butter <~~> Hammer sorted with the M1 and his way of being with the bike and track massaged its way out of the atmosphere into Alien realm last season gloriously. He is back down into orbit, and can build a third Butter-Hammer synergy boost just as he does ('Fuego' on his brake protector?). Yamaha, please, even a bit more from the motor ASAP!

Methinks Cal knew JUST what he was getting into this yr, and is doing the best he can step by step, including getting off that thing and onto a Factory (as in not Open) Honda! To those that attempt to censor the mouths of riders, careful what you wish for. I like Cal's mouth! He's 'real.' And has career trajectory not yet potentiated. Which, inverse to observation of Dovi we can see, that LCR bike can bear to fruition next season while these other rides can't. Brilliant and fortunate! Cal can give himself a leg up in 2015 and over a best avail seat for 2016 as Beautista, Bradl, Pedrosa, Dovi, and a few others descend from their go at escaping the earthbound gravity of astronauts not "Alien-ing."

I can go on and on too, no clients this afternoon. Off to garden then change the oil on the 600RR (on which good laps just uneventfully and smoothly pour forth btw).

;)