Recent comments

• 50-Year-Old Jeremy McWilliams To Race Brough Superior In Moto2 At Silverstone   5 days 13 hours ago

Moto2 has become a joke since Marquez left, now they've signed up the aged clown.

Moto2 was supposed to provide close racing - it hasn't for a couple of seasons. In days gawn past GP racing was a place to develop motorcycles. Moto2 engines are unchanged from the first day they raced.

Dorna and Honda should be ashamed of what they've done to the lightweight class.

• The Gresini Situation: Where Will Scott Redding Be Riding In 2015?   5 days 13 hours ago

I can only wonder if this state of affairs had been known a couple of weeks ago, whether he might have been signed up to ride a very fast Yamaha. A Yamaha that's doomed to tootle around in midfield for the rest of this year and all of next.

• The Gresini Situation: Where Will Scott Redding Be Riding In 2015?   5 days 14 hours ago

This is MotoGP.

Don't count on it.

Even if motogp slots gets sold to Aprillia or others; My bet is IRTA / FIM would just increase the grid by 2 slots to get Marc VDS in.

The Quartararo rule last week tells you all you kneed to know......

Anyway, regardless of that, Redding deserves a ride on a RC213V next year no matter what sponsor is on the tank.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 15 hours ago

Was something the satellite teams wanted in Marquez' case. Whether Gresini or LCR took him, they'd have to fire a bunch of their established staff and crew as Marquez brought his Monlau guys with along, then try and hire them back and or get all new crew when he inevitably moved up to the Repsol team the year after, totally distrupting the team. No one was sad to see the rookie rule go.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 19 hours ago

So what if the Canadians leave as a financial entity? Do you really think Marquez won't still try for his third straight championship, in whatever prototype motorcycle racing series rises from the ashes? Do you think Alvaro Bautista wouldn't take whatever ride was offered him in the same series?

So what if Honda leaves as a factory entity? Do you think Gresini (or whomever) will stop using Hondas to make money in whatever prototype motorcycle racing series rises from the ashes?

Dude, we have to stop cowtowing to the whims of Canadian pension funds (innocent as they may be) and septagenerian (sp?) owners of sanctioning bodies. I know it sounds simplistic, but let's get back to the roots of the sport: People trying to solve the problem of how to get around a track fastest on two wheels. That's how it started; that's what somebody saw and thought they could grow into a multi-billion-dollar business.

Sometimes ya just gotta pull a Nietzsche. The question is, who has the balls--and the influence--to do it?

'Course, the next question is, who will televise it so I can see it....

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 19 hours ago

"Dorna can no more think and act long-term than someone on fire can rationally consider what they are going to have for dinner on Sunday."

Exactly my point. Dorna is being forced to produce returns they had no business promising. To my mind, that constitutes fraud. The Canadian group must also bear some responsibility for not doing proper due diligence.

Either way, we, the stakeholders, get screwed while they, the publicly traded company, scramble to provide them, the stockholders, with returns.

Racing and monetary gain are not always in synch. A common enough dichotomy. Contrary to popular belief, greed is not always a good thing. Certainly greed serves a purpose. But, as Aristotle said, nothing in excess.

Life will go on. And, if we learn from our experiences, life will be better.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 20 hours ago

Dorna has to perform or Canadian pension fund will sell and invest in something else. So Dorna/Bridgepoint MUST make that fund happy, short-term. Dorna actually borrowed hundreds of millions of dollars earlier this year to make payments to its investors. Dorna is a couple of pesos short of a billion dollars in debt.

The FIM has given/sold Dorna the exclusive rights to organize MotoGP however Dorna sees fit until 2036. I would not bet on MotoGP being around that long under the current management.

The worst thing about the pay-per-view deals can be seen in what has happened to the sport here in the U.S. AMA Superbike - and WSBK - went from free TV to cheap cable to expensive/obscure cable packages, losing raw audience numbers with each step. Now the AMA's potential TV audience is so small that the organizers literally cannot give the show away. The YouTube video of the last Superbike race at Mid-Ohio has had less than 12,000 views.

The economic function of any sport is to gather an audience. Dorna's decision to pursue pay-per-view deals will help its bottom line in the short term, but ultimately damages the ability of teams to gather sponsors - because fewer and fewer people see the logos. This is especially true for the non-industry sponsors; Go & Fun, for example, now reaches a fraction of the viewers in Britain than it did before the pay-TV deal.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 20 hours ago
    Yep

Yer right. Really doesn't change my basic point--the rule wasn't to get him onto a factory team, but to keep him off, while keeping him in the Yamaha family--but I did forget it was one of the times Honda didn't initiate a rule change. Thanks for the clarification.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 21 hours ago

Just to keep the record straight: Which rider was Yamaha going to dump off of the factory team in 2010 to make room for Spies: Lorenzo, who had four wins, 12 podiums and was second in the 2009 championship, or Rossi, who had six wins, 13 podiums and won the title?

Here is the reality: Yamaha wanted Spies to spend another year in WSBK. Spies did not want to spend another year in WSBK (MotoGP riders can make more on their gear endorsement deals alone than most riders in the WSBK paddock make in salary). Tech III was the only way to keep Spies in the Yamaha fold, and rookie rule or not, Tech III was the place that Spies was going to wind up if he went to MotoGP with Yamaha.

You could argue that Spies was prevented by the Rookie Rule from moving to the factory Ducati squad (in which case, you could argue that the Rookie Rule saved his bacon) or the Repsol team (where Dovi was underperforming, yet still a race winner).

But saying "Yamaha wanted to put Spies on one of their factory bikes ..." is simply and factually wrong.

• 50-Year-Old Jeremy McWilliams To Race Brough Superior In Moto2 At Silverstone   5 days 21 hours ago

So they're putting a 50yr old on the Moto2 grid, and no one here is crying out that they should be giving a younger rider a chance? I'm baffled.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 22 hours ago

Yes, the Canadian pensioners want to know they'll keep getting their checks. But why is that important to Dorna? Could it be because Dorna sold something for far more than it was worth? Because they misled the Canadian group--and because the Canadian group did a crappy job of researching Dorna's claims?

Dorna could have opted for the long-term approach. Lots of companies do. Dorna opted for the short-term approach. Lots of companies do. But to excuse the failings of either approach by saying the companies are just doing what the market is telling them to do is wrong on every level.

Dorna should have known--and the Canadian group should have discovered--the limitations of their product. It's a niche market. A huge proportion of that market is rabid, but a huge proportion of what really isn't that big a number is an even smaller number.

If Dorna were ruining some long-storied niche market I didn't care about, like knitting, that would be one thing. But their myopic approach is threatening the very existence of prototype motorcycle racing. That bugs me deeply.

Dorna isn't operating in a vacuum. If they committed fraud, someone should be held accountable.

And where is the FIM in all this? Aren't they responsible for the sport's integrity? Doesn't their seal of approval have the ultimate leverage?

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Failed records and new rules   5 days 22 hours ago

Yamaha wanted to put Spies on one of their factory bikes after he crushed his debut year in World Superbike. Repsol and Honda threw a fit and threatened to take their MotoGP bikes and go home, so Dorna rejiggered the rule book and made Spies go to Tech 3 for a year before he could get onto the Fiat Yamaha team. That's what triggered the rule change, keeping him off the factory team, thus the moniker, "Spies rule." It wasn't about getting rookies ONTO a team, it was about keeping them OFF a team.

Then, just a couple of years later, when Marquez was ready to leave Moto2, the team that wanted him got the recently invoked Spies rule dropped. And we all know who that team was. Now they're getting the next perceived phenom. Which is why some of us are pretty convinced Repsol and Honda basically just get whatever they want.

• Tom Sykes Signs On For Two More Years In World Superbikes With Kawasaki   6 days 13 min ago

Maybe Sykes' ability to avoid the usual temptations and plough his own furrow is what makes him so widely admired.
    As for MotoGP - of course I was overstating. All the riders are brave and skilled - but the spectacle is a disappointment because the equipment dice are loaded. It's like Rafael Nadal playing tennis with a carbon fibre racquet and nylon strings - and everybody else with wood and catgut. As much fun as watching Gordon Ramsey boil an egg.

PS - An important point - I never said Gentleman Tom sprayed fizz over his wife - only over the riff-raff like you and me.

• The Gresini Situation: Where Will Scott Redding Be Riding In 2015?   6 days 9 hours ago

It looks like the marketing team won with a plan to launch this product with a monster idea to gain market share, and then fund their aspirations with the resulting humungous profits from fans sucking up their story.
    Turned out to be a load of green bull, by the looks. Shame. It could have been great for Gresini and the fans.
    If it does bring Marc VDS into the fold, and sets up Redding with his base team again, that would be great. Presumably, that means buying those PBM slots too.

If the RCV isn't viable I do hope that Gresini gets his Aprilia deal too. One door closes; clouds/silver linings etc.

What does winning mean? Beating the competition (satellites) - and if someone else is in a different race (i.e. factories) then losing to them isn't not winning. I doubt very much that Redding can take the battle to the top 4 on a consistent basis. If he's consistent top 5, with a few runs at a podium, or qualifying on the front row, that would be winning in my book. Probably good enough in Marc VDS's cheque book too.

The pit crew could be interesting too - will the M2 team move up and weaken their challenge there? Or does it mean a shuffle of Gresini's crew to transfer the RCV know-how?

• The Gresini Situation: Where Will Scott Redding Be Riding In 2015?   6 days 10 hours ago

Hi there Motoshrink, I am happy to see that you have finally accepted that all is not well at Gresini. I think it has everything to do with the story coming from Sir David Emmett himself. Thanks David, for putting up this piece in your usual inimitable style and saving me from garnering a reputation of an Indian who can write in English but writes trash. I owe you one Sir.

• The Pressure Of Contracts: Bradley Smith Explains How A New Tech 3 Deal Helped Him Ride Better   6 days 11 hours ago

Hi Motoshrink, because of the fact that I use my name as it is in gmail it is seen as avsatishchandra. Actually it is A V Satish Chandra. Feel free to call me Satish, that is how all friends address me. Thank you for your compliments about my English and the sarcasm about my being Indian. Most educated Indians are fairly proficient in English.

You are right I should have provided the link to the story from which I was quoting. Though someone else has provided a link to speedweek, I will still provide you with where I got the story from. Here it is and lay your doubt to rest. http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/207814/1/redding-waiting-on-gresini-for.... Hope you do not think I am a fraud. Thanks. And also please no lectures about how to post and the etiquette of posting and how I should learn all those things by going through some great posts and all that. Really, I can do without that.

P.S: We Indians are alright. There are many like me who preferred to stay back in India because it is a nice enough of place and also because it is not nice to be treated as a second rate or third rate citizen in another country.

• The Gresini Situation: Where Will Scott Redding Be Riding In 2015?   6 days 13 hours ago

Ever since he tested with them I was secretly hoping he would sign! If he can't get a factory ride he could do worse than the duc.
    Would HATE to see Gresini out of GP tho, even to just one bike would be a tragedy. 2015 could be great if Gresini stays we get Marc VDS and a more competitive bikes/teams could be a good year

• 50-Year-Old Jeremy McWilliams To Race Brough Superior In Moto2 At Silverstone   6 days 14 hours ago

Double post!

The last man to put a 500 on pole, Jezza deserves a bit a respect!
    Hope he has a good race :-)

• 50-Year-Old Jeremy McWilliams To Race Brough Superior In Moto2 At Silverstone   6 days 15 hours ago

I can't wait to watch this race!

• The Gresini Situation: Where Will Scott Redding Be Riding In 2015?   6 days 18 hours ago

Wow! Had no idea. Reminds me again how volatile life is, MotoGP no exception. You make all your plans, then one day during crunch time you receive 'that call' that the carpet is coming out from under you.

Whoraverage rider I am w you, but consider this here below too.
    Punkass, don't you also just think this whole entire circus is insanity? To smell the Repsol fuel wafting on the front straight telling you the front pack was just here seems enough to keep teams at it, and 3.5 million is small potatoes to lots of folks involved in the dream. It isn't a rational process so much perhaps, but a 'we must so we will!'

David - 'unicorn winning the derby' = GEM, great article as usual my friend.

I feel for Fausto and Co. Like life, again, sudden destabilization makes room for otherwise impossible opportunity for those poised and able to surf the moment.

Redding gets a better bike than was possible. Marc VDS gets 'that other call' that we get a few times in our life. MotoGP (and you and me) get one more top notch viable competitive team on the grid. Aprilia gets a leg up with Gresini's platform of established infrastructure and expertise. Fausto is depressed for a while and hopefully gives me a call so we can work on the transformation arising for him to hop on as his long strong major Honda swell subsides, and he steps up in his role functioning from independent satellite racing team to something bigger. Gresini loses its struggles with 'almost there but not quite' limitations they would NEVER have let go of otherwise, and enter a new chapter in racing history.

Either that or there is a major sponsor that didn't see itself on MotoGP livery just now but ready to commit...that would be wonderful too but less so from my seat.

Wow! Whodathunk.

One hundred and thirty six races have passed since a satellite team has won a race - $3.5+ million for a satellite Honda that you don't own, that most likely won't win a race, and is still a step down from the factory bikes is insanity.

• 50-Year-Old Jeremy McWilliams To Race Brough Superior In Moto2 At Silverstone   6 days 20 hours ago

I will give it to him. Even when he was young he looked like Father Time himself. But the man has grit. Would not be surprised if he pulls something out the box. Go Jezza!!!!

• The Gresini Situation: Where Will Scott Redding Be Riding In 2015?   6 days 21 hours ago

Wow. I am eating some popcorn and inhaling bon bons with rollers in my hair reading this. (Joking), but this soap opera never stops. I have had my criticisms of Redding before last year. But he is showing solidness that I think deserves to be given a chance more so than MANY others in the field. Hope it gets worked out for him. Also hope Gresini gets the sponsorship he needs. They are a great team in the paddock.

• 50-Year-Old Jeremy McWilliams To Race Brough Superior In Moto2 At Silverstone   6 days 21 hours ago

gathers no Mossey.

I wondered that - thought I had dreamt it or something! A bit of a shock, but then I thought about it and McW has been very competitive for a long time, and his winning on the HD at Indi showed he very much still has it. A good development rider who is unlikely to crash. Perhaps not such a bad idea, and he will probably do better in interviews etc. Bound to be lots of interest that will be good for Brough.....should guarantee an interview from his mates on BTSport at least.

Go Jezza (never thought I would say that to him or anyone else).