Recent comments

• 2014 Sepang Sunday Round Up: Beating Doohan, Rabat's Reward For Hard Work, And Miller Mastering Marquez In Moto3   5 days 3 hours ago

What a weekend, the best weekend of racing I've seen in 20 years of watching at Sepang. Pedrosa was cheered when he fell off, Marquez and Vale cheered all the way, Lorenzo not cheered or booed. Well he was tired tired and it was was hot! Actually for the whole race it was considerably cooler than Saturday as a nice cool breeze picked up around 1pm. Enough excuses Jorge just deal with it.
    The crowd was fantastic and the organisation actually gets better every year, it could take 2 hours to get to town after the race now I was in the hotel after one hour including dropping a friend off at the airport on the way. The crowd comes from Australia - it's cheaper to get to from Perth and better and cheaper accommodation than Phillip island, so its actually the home race for west Australians, there are thousands of Indonesians and Thais and all in all it is an outstanding weekend. The Malaysians have a lot of their own riders to cheer now and this year the all dissappointed, unfortunately. 3 years ago I thought about stopping because of the heat and the traffic, now I'm ready to book for next year again as soon as the tickets are available.
    Well done Malaysia, and well done to the crowd and all the organisers of this fantastic event.

I hope the GSX-RR will get a big improvement over this winter. The bike looks quite slow in the previous tests.

• 2015 MotoGP Provisional Entry List Announced - No Surprises, But Still No Second Aprilia Rider   5 days 4 hours ago

• 2014 Sepang Sunday Round Up: Beating Doohan, Rabat's Reward For Hard Work, And Miller Mastering Marquez In Moto3   5 days 4 hours ago

There were 3 fewer races in 1997. Doohan won 80% of the races that year. Marc will need to win 15 of 18 races this year to beat Doohan's record, which at this point is impossible. Makes Doohan's record even more impressive.

It's disappointing that DORNA are misusing statistics in this way. If I were Mick, I'd feel cheated.

• 2014 Sepang Sunday Round Up: Beating Doohan, Rabat's Reward For Hard Work, And Miller Mastering Marquez In Moto3   5 days 5 hours ago

and yet he never made it to the World Championship apart from a wildcard ride on the Kawasaki at Laguna Seca.

• 2014 Sepang Moto3 Race Result: Tempers Run High In Epic Encounter   5 days 5 hours ago

And by that replay I'm assuming you mean the one from the front. Watch the helicopter view and see how it's Jack that tightens his line and not Alex drifting wide. I agree, the front on view looks suspicious but it all comes clear when you watch the helicopter view.

Screengrabs in the following forum thread.

• 2014 Sepang MotoGP Race Result: The Cream Rises To The Top   5 days 5 hours ago

Rossi often 'finds" something. Seems it's the way he works and continues to work towards improvement and not just a a one quick lap.
    He looked to have Lorenzo sorted early, motogp yardstick for sure,still.

If you do look at that comment (the one that I have used as the subject), it is very obvious that the legality or illegality of the moves put in by Jack Miller are not being judged by any scale or mechanism which would accurately tell you what the limits of hard racing are and as per those limits how close a rider is to being illegal. It is an interpretation of Mike Webb. So I am a bit surprised David that you are so emphatic that what Jack Miller was doing was legal but unsporting. When something is judged by a person with only the benefit of how something looks to him on screen and it is just his brain telling him that it is legal, you should also consider that other people and other brains may "interpret" the same thing as illegal. Therefore I am surprised that you are so confident and emphatic about the legality of Miller's moves. Also I am not so comfortable with the separation of sporting from legal. What makes a sport a sport is the spirit in which it is played, but to say that you can still be a sportsman without being sporting but simply not doing anything illegal, for me seems to undermine the very idea of something being called a sport.

All those technical difficulties apart (they are difficult for me; sharper brains may not find them so) what I did get to see is that Alex Marquez deserved to get that 5th position and nothing higher. Through out the race it was so painfully obvious that he was going a little too wide at turns thereby giving Miller the opportunity to dive in and push him wide. How many more times did Miller need to do that before it dawned on Marquez that he had to change strategy and start doing things differently if he had to prevent Miller from doing the same thing again and again? I was so exasperated on the last lap when the all too familiar going wide and finding Miller pushing Marquez was happening this time with Miller's teammate slowing down in Marquez's way to decisively break Marquez's probability of catching up with Miller, I almost banged my head on the wall. Brotherly love may make Marc Marquez say things like Alex Marquez is faster than me, more precise and less all over the place, but the reality is and I am sure Marc Marquez also realised that Alex Marquez has no ability to innovate and think while racing and so he got beaten by somebody who was canny (sporting or legal or otherwise). It was pathetic to see lap after lap the same thing being played out.

• 2014 Sepang Sunday Round Up: Beating Doohan, Rabat's Reward For Hard Work, And Miller Mastering Marquez In Moto3   5 days 6 hours ago

Marc Marquez reckons his little brother is even faster than he is.

Have a look at: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/2014/motogp/sepangrace/lowlight/l5.htm

Sliding at about 70 degrees to the trajectory, on wets, on one wheel. At a gazillion kph.

And his baby brother is faster? Forget the future challenge from Miller - the guy is upcoming toast. If Marquez Jnr. is quicker than this, then Captain Kirk would be saying 'Warp 5, please.. good... what the faaaaark was THAT, Mr. Spock?'

Miller might as well get a kick or two in while Marquez Jnr.'s backside is in the same multiverse.

is not from Malaysia alone...

• 2014 Sepang MotoGP Race Result: The Cream Rises To The Top   5 days 6 hours ago

As tires go off Marquez and the Honda have something over the others. He was drifting the bike into corners in ways the ither riders are not. How much of that is about the Honda vs the Yamaha I am curious, as the Yamaha is not so inclined, but most of it seems to be about Marc's skill at and over the limit.

In that sense MM did power fwd from Rossi even though the lap times say otherwise. He stepped it up. Amazing kid!

Great job Rossi and garage. Enjoying this season a bunch.

• 2014 Sepang Sunday Round Up: Beating Doohan, Rabat's Reward For Hard Work, And Miller Mastering Marquez In Moto3   5 days 7 hours ago

A truly inspiring character personifying determination and hard work! Congratulations on a thoroughly deserved world championship!

Thanks David for chronicling his road to success in such detail. Truly inspiring...

• 2014 Sepang MotoGP Race Result: The Cream Rises To The Top   5 days 8 hours ago

I believe Lin Jarvis when he says the Yamaha is equal with the Honda. And they wont have seamless downshift until next year. Yikes.

• 2014 Sepang Moto3 Race Result: Tempers Run High In Epic Encounter   5 days 9 hours ago

Any time someone makes deliberate contact with you they are significantly increasing the possibility of you crashing.

There's not a lot of difference between barging into the side of someone and putting your motorcycle on the line of someone who already is committed to that line. Each is designed to result in contact. One simply has a greater suicidal content. I really think it's just semantics.

On those instances where Webb ruled that "Miller made the turn," Miller also was unable to hold his line, drifting out far enough to let other riders slide inside, and deliberately cutting across Marquez' line, even when Marquez had conceded the inside line and had committed to the outside. And again, Miller did it only to Marquez.

"Taking someone's line" is kosher when you do it before they've committed to that line. I've had it done to me, and done it to others. No complaints. Running it up the inside of me and giving me the "choice" of contact or standing up and running off the track - serious complaints.

I can respect hard racing. The MotoGP race was an excellent example of it. But Miller's behavior this season - I'll simply point out once again that at age 16, Casey Stoner told Oxley that at this level, it's all about controlling your head. Miller has not shown the maturity of Stoner when Casey was years younger than Miller is now.

Then again, Dorna needs Australians in the mix, so even if Miller pulled a knife on someone mid-race Webb would probably give him another "stern warning ..."

• 2014 Sepang Sunday Round Up: Beating Doohan, Rabat's Reward For Hard Work, And Miller Mastering Marquez In Moto3   5 days 10 hours ago

When everything is taken into account I guess that Alzamora's complaint to Race Direction must be included in the list of things that a team can do to try and win by any legal methods.

If Alzamora thought there was even a tiny chance that Miller might be penalised then he was surely correct to complain!

• 2014 Sepang Moto3 Race Result: Tempers Run High In Epic Encounter   5 days 11 hours ago

The difference between Miller and Simoncelli is that Miller gave his opponent a choice. Simoncelli just barged people off the track, Miller put his bike where Marquez wanted to put his. Not once was Marquez in danger of crashing. Simoncelli used his aggression to compensate for his talent. Miller used his aggression to amplify his talent. No comparison.

I was amazed at how Miller managed to avoid contact with everyone on the track except for his only title rival. If this is actually acceptable behavior on the track, if I were the Estrella Galicia team manager, Rins' only task at Valencia would be to put Miller in the hospital and all of his equipment in the rubbish bin - on Friday.

The praise for Miller's on-track antics reminds me of the praise heaped upon Marco Simoncelli. Go back and read some forums and comments about how wonderful and refreshing Marco's behavior in the 250cc class was.

p.s. Oh yeah, when Miller complains about his injuries, we can call him petulant, too.

I applaud Jack Miller for fighting tooth and nail for the championship. There was absolutely no way he was losing points to Marquez. I love that tenacity. I love how much he wants it.

That's all the nice things I have to say about his race.

• 2014 Sepang MotoGP Race Result: The Cream Rises To The Top   5 days 12 hours ago

Rossi will be world champion next year. That's my prediction of the day and if I'm wrong I'll blame the heat.

• 2014 Sepang Moto3 Race Result: Tempers Run High In Epic Encounter   5 days 12 hours ago

I'm very happy for Vazquez, he's fought enough battles and deserved to win this one. I hope he gets a good ride next year.

"...if Marquez beats Miller at Sepang, it's effectively title over."

Perhaps it's coincidence, but that tagline thingy at the top of the web page now says: Kropotkin thinks...that you have to do whatever it takes when a championship is at stake."

It was tough racing. I just think Miller rode differently when Marquez was the bane of his immediate existence than he did when he was contesting position with the other riders. To me it seemed he did so to make a specific "screw you" point.

Which, as Kropotkin rightly reminds us, is precisely what champions do. Hmmm. My respect for Miller, although grudging, suddenly exists.

• 2014 Sepang Moto3 Race Result: Tempers Run High In Epic Encounter   5 days 13 hours ago

Agree, calvin, Nick Harris,a confused clown. Totally one eyed.
    Preoccupied with stats and points. I mean eighteen laps out he was trying to calculate ,if so and so finishes here > and so on.Bable bable.
    Thank god he let the other guy have a turn in the big race,although he can't pronounce Bastianini either !

...the world revolves around me; why shouldn't we concentrate on that?

...would likely be a racetrack. This is merely a blog. And all we're doing here is the online version of rubbing and banging, which Mike says is a good thing. Perhaps posting replies on a blog is war too.

And I think someone named Jacob Leech wrote the 'P' word, not Mr. Emmett. But they could be one and the same person, as I've never seen them both together.

With brolly girls?