Recent comments

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   4 days 21 hours ago

Many of you have responded to my post and I am completely overwhelmed simply because I didn't believe that so many would even read my post. Now that this happened a couple of clarifications from my side. First and foremost the post was me just thinking rather loudly about the course of my relationship with Rossi (the rider) and me (the fan). I am not at all saying that what I felt of his manoeuvres should be agreed upon by all. It was just about how I felt all through and despite the loss of respect how I couldn't help but feel happy seeing him win and on the top step of the podium. The second thing that seems to have infuriated many of you is what I wrote about his time at Ducati. Obviously I have no first hand information about it. I based my argument about Filippo Preziosi on various accounts that I have read and an interview with him where he said (and I wanted to really avoid this because will bring up the name of Casey Stoner and all hell will then break loose. So please do not make this about Rossi vs Stoner, I will be grateful for that) he would like to see how Stoner would have fared on the second or third iteration of the reworked Ducati for Valentino Rossi (it seemed he was saying this in a bit of frustration). Also to those who have said that Stoner complained about Ducati, much of it was also had to do with the fact that Ducati tried to lure Jorge Lorenzo with a big pay packed when Stoner sat out a few races due to his illness.

In effect the point I am making is that there are perhaps many stories about who did what and why when it comes to Rossi and Ducati and no one can claim one version to be apodictic while the others are apocryphal. So please treat my original post as a soliloquy of a once very strong Rossi fan and not as an attempt to convince anyone about anything. I just shared my thoughts; I am not God so obviously many will disagree. I have no problem with that. And once again please do not make this about Stoner vs Rossi. I brought that interview into this post only to tell you all the source of my argument that all was not well between Preziosi and Rossi. Thank you all. Reading your posts was an amazing experience and it filled in a lot of spaces that were there in my understanding of things.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   4 days 22 hours ago

Around L5 I thought "MM is gonna toss it, he's riding ragged and impatient"

Running wide, making his now characteristic "going in so tight no way he's gonna save but he always seems to" tight entries even tighter. I think if MM would have settled down and just went to school behind Rossi it could have been a great last 4-5 laps. Great to see Vale reach deep and arrive at the top step. Cannot say VR isn't goal driven or wiling to work for it. Riders with less mental toughness would have retired in the face of this sort of fierce competition.

Great article, David, as usual.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 6 min ago

Some of, if not your best work David-a pleasure to read. Well done Sir.

A great day for Motogp, harking back to Rossis glory days. The man has an amazing ability to include everyone (except his rivals) in his experience of winning.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 11 min ago

I may as we'll be driving the Rossi-fanboy-man crush- machine around town given all my silly stickers, but I thought I might have missed something and need to watch the race again. I was thrilled to watch him win again against healthy rivals, but I would not call it exciting. In fact, I feel bad because I was hoping for MM to have a soft low side while giving him the Italian Horns (it worked against Stoner at Laguna too!).

• Official: Alvaro Bautista Confirmed At Aprilia For Two Seasons   5 days 13 min ago

My work addled brain mixed up my Espargaros...carry on.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 39 min ago

I don't think it was brave of him to admit he was wrong, it was more or less his only choice given that he was moving back to Yamaha. I would call it calculated. I also recall that just before the Ducati move (and JB started weighing into it as well which disappointed me), he was bagging the crap out of some other rider/team which was also, calculated. It just backfired a bit.

But, regardless, I was happy he won, and happy that he looked so quick. I have never not enjoyed watching Rossi riding at his best.

• Official: Alvaro Bautista Confirmed At Aprilia For Two Seasons   5 days 1 hour ago

I thought Forward was set for 2015? Pol Espargaro and Stefan Bradl are both under contract, aren't they?

• Grand Prix Commission Agrees Lower MotoGP Weight And Software Freeze   5 days 2 hours ago

The manufacturers are always pushing to use the lightest, strongest materials possible. They add ballast to achieve the minimum weight, and to optimize weight distribution.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 2 hours ago

No way. Marc has a healthy lead and there are only 5 races left. He only needs a couple of podiums (not wins) and to not crash out of a race and he has it. It's really just a matter of when. Probably Motegi.

The weight decrease comes after a long series of weight increases. From 2007 to 2011, the 800cc MotoGP bikes weighed 150kg. Originally, the 1000cc MotoGP bikes were developed to be 153kg, but the weight was changed at the last minute. In 2012, the bikes were 157kg, in 2013, the weight increased to 160kg. All of the bikes - the Honda, the Yamaha and the Ducati - carry ballast. The cost in removing weight will be in finding the right balance of the machine, but as it is only 2kg, it should not take too much work.

These proposals usually come from the factories, and can only be implemented with the approval of the factories. If they feared the cost, they would not do it.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 3 hours ago

Yeah, finally the truth comes out. Marquez is only slightly better than average and lucky for him he had the all-conquering Honda at his disposal for his 11 wins this season. (Rolls eyes)

I have said all season that the two bikes are probably more equal than we all thought. Pedrosa is super-fast when everything is right, and while he is 2nd in points, he hasn't been dominant at all.

• Grand Prix Commission Agrees Lower MotoGP Weight And Software Freeze   5 days 3 hours ago

I think the weight reduction vs cost is a little misleading. For a start if you look at road tyres (I know it isn't the same however the construction materials are the same) Michelin tyres are 1-1.5kg lighter than other makes. Therefore they may only be reducing the weight by 0.5kg however the reduced weight and rotational/unsprung mass may mean they can use smaller brakes meaning less costs in the long run so whilst it might look like a strange move it could be to reduce costs!

• Official: Alvaro Bautista Confirmed At Aprilia For Two Seasons   5 days 4 hours ago

I think Bautista has a much harder go on the honda with Showa and Nissin that we know. Being so far behind on data makes it impossible to compete. Yet, the guy chucks it into corners with a lot of bravery. Win it or bin it seems to be the way for him. I hope the Aprilia suits his style and he enjoys racing in '15.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 4 hours ago

Not the best racing but still very exciting to watch. Would he bin it? Was Jorge catching up? Were we really going to get such a longed for result. Granted you needed to want Rossi to win to get the most from it but for those who did it was an unmissable spectacle.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 4 hours ago

i have seen that. However, given it was not something loud and strong, just his opinion to the press.

Wanna compare it to JL protests about tyres ?

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 4 hours ago

I'm sorry, but really? The best racing so far? People forget rather quickly it seems. There have been far better races in every class this season, especially in MotoGP where the race was over as soon as Marquez hit the deck. A MotoGP race is never boring in my book but this was certainly among the least exciting of this year. Nice to see Rossi and Yamaha get a win this season over Marquez but really, nothing special.

You're doing the sport a big discredit. What it needs is races like Qatar, Mugello and Barcelona.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 4 hours ago

you start to ask: Is there still a mathematically chance for Vale to win this Championship this year?(seriously: is there?)

I hope so much that he is King again next year at least,when the Michelins will be brand new for everybody.
    With Colin Edwards as a test mule, it could be that favours will play for VR46:)..just saying.

I´ve watched the race 5 times now already, but the biggest thrill is still when Vale enters the podium....what a blast!

Laverty is rumored to go to aspar martinez on an open honda.

• Official: Alvaro Bautista Confirmed At Aprilia For Two Seasons   5 days 5 hours ago

I'm glad Alvaro got a chance to stay on and help develop this new Aprilia. He has already been pretty much a test mule for the last 2 seasons with all this brake and suspension nonsense. I dunno, somehow I see him fitting well on this new chassis. This might work out better than many realize. I wish both him and Aprilia well moving forward.

Hmmm, so Laverty for the second seat perhaps? There is history there, and he has been grinding to get to MotoGP for a few years now. This may be the opening he needs...

• Official: Marc VDS To Move Up To MotoGP With Scott Redding Aboard A Honda RC213V   5 days 5 hours ago

I only thought they (Go & Fun) were terminating the MotoGP Sponsorship, not the junior team also. Given that there are currently over 32 bikes on that grid, perhaps a slight thinning of the herd isn't such a bad thing. Just saying...

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 5 hours ago

This really was what the series needed. A great run-up with weather and tire drama taking the first round of headlines, foreign rubber on the track that fundamentally changed everything we all thought we knew abut this circuit - and Vale's steely-eyed will and resolve to take something back. At his home track. It would be difficult to write a script like this. And I enjoyed every minute.

I think for Rossi the light bulb went off on Saturday when the Sun was finally out and everyone was free to push. He saw the Honda's struggling on that foreign rubber that was laid down on the track and I think it had a bigger effect on the Honda's than we all thought it would. Rear tires were spinning like mad and the bikes were sliding instead of the ususal traction scenario they thought they would have, which seemingly forced them to change their lines just a bit. Meanwhile, the Yamaha's didn't seem to be suffering as much and by the end of FP3 they had it. I think for the first time this year Rossi truly felt like he had the machine that could win. I believe that is why he rolled the dice and chose the softer front - I think he knew he had it.

But to watch him execute on it, to take the fight to his biggest rivals and beat them fair and square was a special thing to see. We went from 62 crashes across all three classes on Friday to some of the best racing collectively I have seen all year across all three classes. It was great to witness. I can only imagine what it was like to be there!

So let's see if this new-found momentum can be sustained at Aragon. Franky, I do not see why not! Even the prospect of it has me excited.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 5 hours ago

none

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 5 hours ago

He did look lke he was pushing very hard. He always pushes like that but yesterday he was really grinding. You could almost feel the wreck coming, so it didn't really shock me when it finally happened.

But he has shown that he has the ability to bounce back from things like this. Aragon should be spectacular!

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 6 hours ago

Marquez to me always looks that way when he rides. I don't think he was pushing any harder than he normally does, just lost the front. It happens sometimes.

• 2014 Misano MotoGP Sunday Round Up: The Legend Returns   5 days 6 hours ago

Just a little observation not mentioned so far - did anyone else think Marc was riding a bit too crazily yesterday, that he looked just the wrong side of out of control? While I'd have loved to see them race lap after lap I was starting to fear Marquez would take them both out, and it was a relief to see him (inevitably in my view) lose the front end. I honestly can't think of anyone else in 20 or 30 years of spectating who I've seen look that scary.