MOTO3 project

Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies

Re: MOTO3 project Peace at last

Postby Kropotkin on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm

dave pearce wrote:You are right Kropotkin

Ironically before I had read your posting we had a friendly chat on the phone and I am pleased to say everything Is
Now sorted.

Thanks to both of you, for doing the right thing. I, like many others, are fascinated in seeing this (and many other) projects develop, so it's nice to be able to read about it without personal squabbles intervening. Thanks!
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports
Kropotkin
Site Admin

Re: MOTO3 project

Postby oldboyonrgv on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Well I have done pretty much all I can to the little bike.... Its now gone off for a rest over Xmas and to have its CF mouldings done...........
oldboyonrgv

Postby oldboyonrgv on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Little bike is back from its break.... It started for the first time today.... Vrooom
oldboyonrgv

Postby Japhrodisiac on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:44 pm

More pics and info would be great! Thanks
Japhrodisiac

Postby Cam D on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 am

oldboyonrgv wrote:Little bike is back from its break.... It started for the first time today.... Vrooom

Nice! Can't wait for the next installments...
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.
Cam D

Postby oldboyonrgv on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks for the encouragement.
My posting of photos on here has been veto'd by others until the bike is in its race colours and complete.
The bike has now been heat cycled a few times and after a full house of leaks (oil, water, fuel) all of which were just a matter of tweaking up the connectors! we now have a fully running bike, during this time I took the chance to check all of the logging and ignition sensors and calibrate as necessary, I have installed a 'static' ignition map until we have the fuelling set up (we have various mpping options for gear, speed etc etc).
Dyno is booked for Tuesday......
oldboyonrgv

Postby oldboyonrgv on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

1st dyno test was completed yesterday (tues) nothing fell off!! we found that the cooling system is VERY efficient! (so we had to tape the rad up to keep temp in there) all sensors were tested and readings taken, I now have a load of data to sort through and we have a direction to go in with the fuelling (the induction system has been changed, since the last runs with this engine) Once I have gone through the information gained we will be running on the dyno again, next time with airbox and perssurisation system fitted. No BHP figures this time as we are just shaking it all down. I now need to go around the whole bike re-checking bolt tightness etc.
oldboyonrgv

Postby Cam D on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:08 pm

How are things coming along?
Cam D

Postby oldboyonrgv on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Airbox is here, so just getting on with fitting that, we have some more things to try on the dyno then off to the track!
oldboyonrgv

Postby Japhrodisiac on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:38 pm

I hate to sound negative here, but the pace of this project is like watching a tree grow. There are a lot of very capable and intelligent people on this forum, I for one was excited at the prospect of witnessing the birth of a racebike from the ground up. I've seen nothing here so far that I and dozens of others on here haven't done already. Does the topic need to be pinned? Given the fact that the bike in question was designed and built by another supplier, the engine built by a third party, no original bodywork etc it seems like this was just a month or two of assembly work. We are now on month 7 or 8 with little progress and no pics allowed? I do wish you luck with the project but..... yawn
Japhrodisiac

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Quite a disappointing post to read. There is absolutely no need to belittle his efforts, and no one is forcing you to follow this thread. As you have said, there are plenty of us on here that have been involved in building racing machinery but that doesn't give us the right to look down upon anothers efforts.
Cam D

Postby Japhrodisiac on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Cam D wrote:Quite a disappointing post to read. There is absolutely no need to belittle his efforts, and no one is forcing you to follow this thread. As you have said, there are plenty of us on here that have been involved in building racing machinery but that doesn't give us the right to look down upon anothers efforts.

I don't look down on him or his ability, just that the thread is so disappointing. He felt the need to share the project, then it seems to have devolved into a place where he can't share much with us, other than "I tighted all the bolts" or "I can't share this info" etc. I have a right to that opinion, no? I wish him well but if you are starting a thread intended to let the world know about your build, do something with it.
Japhrodisiac

Postby oldboyonrgv on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:50 am

I have no problem with your opinion. If the moderator wishes to unpin this topic or even delete it thats fine with me ( and I have told them so on a previous occasion) I must admit that when I started this thread I fully intended to keep it more technically interesting and was expecting the pace of the build to be far quicker, however things beyond my control have intruded.
oldboyonrgv

Postby Japhrodisiac on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm

oldboyonrgv wrote:I have no problem with your opinion. If the moderator wishes to unpin this topic or even delete it thats fine with me ( and I have told them so on a previous occasion) I must admit that when I started this thread I fully intended to keep it more technically interesting and was expecting the pace of the build to be far quicker, however things beyond my control have intruded.

Sorry to hear that. Are the hold ups on the supply side or are they more of a personel problem? When's the first race for the bike?
Japhrodisiac

Postby oldboyonrgv on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Mainly on the supply side, its gets quite frustrating when you are trying to push to get things done which are out of your hands and the people you deal with slow the whole process down. As you succintly pointed out I am a nuts and bolts man, I make no claim to be a fabricator although I am handy with a lathe and milling machine I can take something and adapt it to be more efficient/lighter/stronger etc, my real strong point is on the set up and electronics but when it comes to welding/making fibre glass/carbon fibre bits I leave it to the experts....
oldboyonrgv

Postby Cam D on Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 pm

So.... what's happening? Any news?
Cam D

Postby oldboyonrgv on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Cam
See here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1898
I needed to get him out on something instead of hot air.....
oldboyonrgv

Postby Japhrodisiac on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:01 pm

oldboyonrgv wrote:Hi Cam
See here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1898
I needed to get him out on something instead of hot air.....

What ended up happening with the bike?
Japhrodisiac

Postby oldboyonrgv on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 pm

I think it is in the owners garage.......
oldboyonrgv

Postby Cam D on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:15 am

Japh... PM Dave P for some follow up info. I did and got a reply.
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=2636
Cam D

Postby Cam D on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Dave gave me permission to post up some pics. Looks pretty interesting.
The bike ready to go. 79.5KG with oil&water no fuel. It was tested very successfully at Donington a couple of month ago.
We are hoping very shortly to obtain an NSF250r motor which should enable us to be competitive at British Championship level.
Cam D

Postby Japhrodisiac on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:07 am

Cam - I think you stole my two dogs one steak line!

The bike looks good, but looks as if it has trackday numbers on it. Sounds like the power output wasn't competitive - not surprising given the leap in tech level of the Hondas and KTMs et al.
Great to see the bike complete, at least. Thanks for posting this.
Japhrodisiac

Postby Cam D on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 am

Sure did :D ... meant to give you props for it..... fixed!
Cam D

Previous

Return to Moto2, 250s, 125s, Red Bull Rookies