MOTO3 project

Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies

MOTO3 project

Postby oldboyonrgv on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Guys - Moderators can you make this a sticky please.
I may have mooted this before, but I am working on a MOTO3 project which will take to the track before the end of 2011, we should be in position to race in the 2012 season (where is yet to be decided)

I now have the rolling chassis with engine installed and a collection of exotica which will be installed.
Although I will not be at liberty to disclose certain parts of the project, if you guys are interested i will use this thread to update you of progress (photos and update's etc)

A little of the backgound.

We started the project in 2010 when we took a 450 minmono chassis and installed a 250 4t engine the primary aim was to see how well we could get the engine working and iron out any major issues, the engine used was a Yamaha YZF250 motocross unit, the bike ran at a few club meetings during the year and of course extensive testing sessions, we found that we could get competitive BHP and longevity from the untit with some careful thought and re-engineering of the unit. During this time the FIM published the first draft of the MOTO3 regultaions which outlawed both 5 valve units and motocross engines, this had the effect of stalling the project whilst we discussed othe viable units. Fast forward to May this year when post the Jerez FIM commision meeting an updated set of rules were published which allowed our power unit to be included. The project also stalled whilst we were waiting for the CEV and mcrcb (GB) to finalise the specification (they had rules which complied with the original FIM bulletin)

The above explains why Rowan Miller has been seen on various bikes during this season. He has tested/raced Cougar Red 125, GP45 and the full blown minimono450 see here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1487

So with the above now sorted the project can move on. I stress that this is a pure MOTO3 prototype not based on anything currently available or a copy of exisiting GP125 bikes, the design is flexible so that we can use other power units if desired along with ancillaries...

Let me know if you are interested in following along the thread.

Oh by the way the project is self funded within the small team we have, we have no major sponsor - we will need one!! so if any of you have any ideas let me know.
oldboyonrgv

Re: MOTO3 project

Postby Cam D on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

I'm interested! :D Sounds great.
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.
Cam D

Postby tom on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:07 pm

+1 all ears here :)
tom

Postby chc-pr on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Make that three of us - and good luck
chc-pr

Postby Squidpuppet on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Pics. Now! :lol:

Very interested.
Squidpuppet

Postby motomania on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:01 am

You've definitely got my attention!
Talking about Laguna Seca . . . "I mean, everywhere's
pretty fun. Turn 1's, like I said, that scary, draws
your nut-sack up in your stomach fun."
- Ben Spies
motomania

Postby JanBros on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 am

Squidpuppet wrote:Pics. Now! :lol:

:idea:
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus
JanBros

Postby oldboyonrgv on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:18 am

Yup I plan to - but beware we cannot give any ideas away!!
oldboyonrgv

Postby Cam D on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Can we give suggestions about some of the information we would like to hear about?
If you can do it without giving away your secrets, I would really like to know about issues you have with the chassis when you get the bike on the track. Maybe a little bit of build detail eg: is the engine tightened to a specific torsion in the frame to allow controlled flex? How many hours you expect to get from a build? What oil you end up running?

Not meaning to be pedantic, it's just stuff I find interesting.
Thanks OB,
Cam
Cam D

Postby oldboyonrgv on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:48 pm

I will put up some photos and stuff later in the week, then feel free to ask as much as you need!
oldboyonrgv

Postby oldboyonrgv on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:35 pm

1sr pic
oldboyonrgv

Postby TwoStroke Institute on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:15 am

Recycle bin?
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke
TwoStroke Institute

Postby oldboyonrgv on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:12 am

:lol: I wouldnt expect any other comment than that from you.......
oldboyonrgv

Postby ieism on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:58 am

Like!
"I get it, you're favorite rider is better than mine. Just stop trying to convince me to join your fanclub ok?"
ieism

Postby TwoStroke Institute on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Who's hat? :D Good money in cardboard these days apparently. Dave Pearce do the frame, looks very tasty, begging for a CR500.
TwoStroke Institute

Postby oldboyonrgv on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Aye....Already got one with a 450 engine in,...see here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1487
Last edited by oldboyonrgv on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldboyonrgv

Postby oldboyonrgv on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:51 am

OK A little information.
Frame is indeed Tigcraft and is constructed out of reynolds tubing, Tubing is of aerospace quality and weight, frame weighs less then the equivalent Aluminuim frame. Geometry is consistent with current MOTOGP125 machines, FSA has been done on the chassis.
Rear swing arm is BORA (as per Aprillia RSA).
Front suspension will be Ohilns with twin disks.
rear shock is Ohlins TTX36.
Wheels are Magnesuim.
Mass is centralised
Engine currently is Yamaha YZF250 (making in excess of 40BHP) this may change. we expect 2 X 3day meetings out of the engine in its current form, lubrication is dry sump oil is Silkolene PRO4, pumping losses are managed ;)
Gearbox is bespoke.
electrics are AIM datalogging, with Can bus to ECU which is fully programmable with both auto and manual change of ignition advance per gear. Fueling is by carurettor with electronic assist

So far the rear end has been completed, front forks should arrive today, current work centers around the airbox.

More photos later.
Any questions just ask.....
oldboyonrgv

Postby Cam D on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am

Still digesting that lot! Nice!
What are you doing for the body work? Will they be off the shelf or will you guys be playing with your own design? What will be the height and weight of the rider?
Last edited by Cam D on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam D

Postby oldboyonrgv on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:39 am

I spent a lot of time earlier in the year at the MIRA wind tunnel, the body work will be of the shelf but will be modified and will be the most aerodynamic we found, airflow through and around the bike will be managed. 8-) the appearance of the bike will follow that of the current top GP125's (which are the most aerodynamic bikes out there)
oldboyonrgv

Postby oldboyonrgv on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:44 am

Just a little aside but when Rowan Rode the 450 frame, he said it was the best handling chassis he has used, he was able to out corner anything from GP125's upward! the new frame is smaller but with the same geometry.

Rowan weighs 60Kg with all his kit on, he is 5ft7in
oldboyonrgv

Postby Cam D on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:49 am

oldboyonrgv wrote:I spent a lot of time earlier in the year at the MIRA wind tunnel, the body work will be of the shelf but will be modified and will be the most aerodynamic we found, airflow through and around the bike will be managed. 8-) the appearance of the bike will follow that of the current top GP125's (which are the most aerodynamic bikes out there)

Wow first class effort. Has Rowan spent any time at race schools? This really is fantastic of you to share the build with us... thanks.
Cam D

Postby oldboyonrgv on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:59 am

Well its starting to look like a bike.....

oldboyonrgv

Postby Albert on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:40 am

Looking good!!
I'll second what CamD said --- any info will be gratefully read!
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!
Albert

Postby TwoStroke Institute on Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Put all those empty boxes in the recycle bin yet Gary? :lol:
TwoStroke Institute

Postby oldboyonrgv on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:20 pm

TwoStroke Institute wrote:Put all those empty boxes in the recycle bin yet Gary? :lol:

Ohh yea re-cycle man was most happy....

So what questions you lot got about the bike??

As you can see we now have it on its wheels, air box plug is made and will be going to the mouldmaker/laminator soon. We are currently fitting the ohlins GP spec front end, but have hit a snag with the discs which have a 6mm dish, we need zero dish so got to sort that out this week, trouble is they are the special Brembo specials so that should be a journey of discovery!
I am also constructing an out rigger set up for the gear shift ( to reduce drag at the lever) the fairing has arrived so I will also be fitting that soon.
Seat was just sat on for the photo, needs to go back 40MM and up a bit. it will be flared into the side panels which will be carbon and flush with the side of the carbon airbox.
Rad is dinky, may have to upsize a bit there although with an Rs125 rad it was over cooled before, we are running an electric waterpump with ecu control so the engine holds a constant temp , rad will be ducted to the front and rear to maximise cooling.
oldboyonrgv

Next

Return to Moto2, 250s, 125s, Red Bull Rookies