2012 - Sepang II

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class

Re: 2012 - Sepang II

Postby alrova on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:36 am

sir_nj wrote:
alrova wrote:
eddahenry wrote:Now I have watched that video again
I'm wondering what Casey is adjusting it seems to be mounted to the side of the switch box that has the pitlane rev limiter switch
Dosnt seem to be attached to the cluch leaver

My guess either front break or rear break play, depends on rider

we are talking left hand here, aren't we?

Correct, u can buy d remote cable to adjust d play

http://www.2wheelpros.com/brembo-high-p ... 57944.html just a quick search, not sure if link will be deleted
alrova

Postby sir_nj on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:42 am

alrova wrote:Correct, u can buy d remote cable to adjust d play

http://www.2wheelpros.com/brembo-high-p ... 57944.html just a quick search, not sure if link will be deleted

now that's cool. ta
sir_nj

Postby RatsMC on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:24 am

a couple of years ago, there was a video clip and a set of sequential stills showing Rossi adjusting his brake with one of those while heading out of one corner and into another at speed - dealing with an adjustment while in the middle of racing at the limit.
RatsMC

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:57 am

sir_nj wrote:
alrova wrote:
eddahenry wrote:Now I have watched that video again
I'm wondering what Casey is adjusting it seems to be mounted to the side of the switch box that has the pitlane rev limiter switch
Dosnt seem to be attached to the cluch leaver

My guess either front break or rear break play, depends on rider

we are talking left hand here, aren't we?

My vote is for front brake adjuster. Bit hard to take the right hand off to adjust things I guess. I read a while ago the adjuster on the left is normally for front brake.
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.
Cam D

Postby RatsMC on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 am

It is almost certainly the front brake adjuster. As the pads wear down though the race, they have to adjust the pads inward to maintain the same lever travel.
RatsMC

Postby Upon1 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:30 am

I wonder why as soon as he left and entered pitlane he shifted all the way up to 6th and back down again!
Upon1

Postby eddahenry on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:24 am

maybe to make sure the take off electrics dont bite him in the arss they they did lorenzo last year
eddahenry

Postby eddahenry on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 am

Yamaha MotoGP ‏ @YamahaMotoGP
@HRC_MotoGP so is it like when you get a red light on the X-box and it stops working?

Repsol Honda Team ‏ @HRC_MotoGP
@YamahaMotoGP something like that….

Yamaha MotoGP ‏ @YamahaMotoGP
@HRC_MotoGP well, let us know if you want us to come and have a look...
eddahenry

Postby Gustav O on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 am

Honda had an engine failure on Danis bike yesterday and sent the engine to Japan for analysis. They did not get out on track until they had an ok from the factory and when that came it was pouring down. Akiyoshi will a shake down test ride today and tomorrow all Honda riders will be out.
Unfortunately for them the weather forecast is bad for tomorrow as well with rain expected..
Gustav O

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:32 am

RatsMC wrote:It is almost certainly the front brake adjuster. As the pads wear down though the race, they have to adjust the pads inward to maintain the same lever travel.
With hydraulics shouldn't that be automatic? I read that the brakes suffered fade and needed more lever to evercome it.
Cam D

Postby Gustav O on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 am

Cam D wrote:] With hydraulics shouldn't that be automatic? I read that the brakes suffered fade and needed more lever to evercome it.

This have been on the top flight bikes for years. How would hydraulics auto adjust?
Gustav O

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

eddahenry wrote:maybe to make sure the take off electrics dont bite him in the arss they they did lorenzo last year

Probably right, and maybe it's a new donk / gear box setting... so he was checking all the gears are there and functioning etc...? Could be the new gear shift can need adjusting and he was checking the feel of it? Just thoughts.
Cam D

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:41 am

Gustav O wrote:
Cam D wrote:] With hydraulics shouldn't that be automatic? I read that the brakes suffered fade and needed more lever to evercome it.

This have been on the top flight bikes for years. How would hydraulics auto adjust?

Fluid displacement... like normal hydraulic braking systems? Doesn't the fluid from the M/C res fill the area behind the caliper piston when it moves out further? It seems to on every other hydraulic brake I've seen. edit: It's normally only the seals that hold the caliper pistons in position. Unless I've totally miss understood how hydraulic brakes function. Do they have a spring return on the caliper pistons? That would account for it.

From the Brembo site...
Remote Adjusters for Radial Master Cylinders - Remote adjusters are devices to allow a rider to adjust their brake lever using their left hand, as opposed to manipulating the master cylinder directly on the right side. This allows racers to adjust their brake levers for brake fade while riding. Brembo Remote Adjusters are the perfect compliment for a Brembo Radial Master Cylinder.
Last edited by Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cam D

Postby eddahenry on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:50 am

on another note
whoever made CS start a twitter account is a genius.
He is on there having a joke and a laugh with all the guys. he is coming across as a fun aussie bloke.
not quite the way most see him.
but than again the whole twitter thing might be his idea. with his wife and kid at home for most of this year he may now have the time to do it
eddahenry

Postby Sloth27 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:02 am

The twitter debate between the riders is actually quite funny, seems CS and CE don't mind giving Spies a hard time.
Crutchlow was the winner though when he said that CE doesn't need to worry about riding in the rain 'cause his bike only has 200hp :lol:
Sloth27

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:04 am

RatsMC wrote:a couple of years ago, there was a video clip and a set of sequential stills showing Rossi adjusting his brake with one of those while heading out of one corner and into another at speed - dealing with an adjustment while in the middle of racing at the limit.

Saw this
Cam D

Postby Gustav O on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 am

For me that is quite mind blowing. He is actually adjusting the brake lever while overtaking in a race while going in to Doohan cCorner att Philip Island! :o
Last edited by Rusty Bucket USA on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (removed the dupe of that big picture collage)
Gustav O

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 am

Anyone know what the little black thing is protruding above and to the right of the pit lane limiter switch?
Cam D

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Cam D

Postby RatsMC on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Cam D wrote:Fluid displacement... like normal hydraulic braking systems? Doesn't the fluid from the M/C res fill the area behind the caliper piston when it moves out further? It seems to on every other hydraulic brake I've seen. edit: It's normally only the seals that hold the caliper pistons in position. Unless I've totally miss understood how hydraulic brakes function. Do they have a spring return on the caliper pistons? That would account for it.

From the Brembo site...
Remote Adjusters for Radial Master Cylinders - Remote adjusters are devices to allow a rider to adjust their brake lever using their left hand, as opposed to manipulating the master cylinder directly on the right side. This allows racers to adjust their brake levers for brake fade while riding. Brembo Remote Adjusters are the perfect compliment for a Brembo Radial Master Cylinder.

Given some time to actually think about it, that makes sense. I'm really not sure where in my ass I got the pad wear idea.

Sloth27 wrote:The twitter debate between the riders is actually quite funny, seems CS and CE don't mind giving Spies a hard time.
Crutchlow was the winner though when he said that CE doesn't need to worry about riding in the rain 'cause his bike only has 200hp :lol:

Seems the riders have settled into the twitter thing. Between them and Yamaha and HRC, following the tests has been far more entertaining than the events would suggest.
RatsMC

Postby Gustav O on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Ben Spies
1st
“Today went well, the rain caught us out again but we got everything we needed to do done before lunch including some different chassis set ups and some electronics which we were pretty happy with. The rain started to come down so we waited until it subsided a little bit but with still a full wet track with standing water which we needed. We haven’t ridden the thousand in the rain and I’ve never ridden this track in the rain so it was good to get some laps in. I had quite a good feeling with the bike in the rain; straight away it felt pretty good so we rode in full wet conditions and stayed on wets when it dried out a little and was greasy. We’ve got a lot of stuff to do tomorrow so we’re hoping for a dry day!”

Jorge Lorenzo
2nd
“Today we improved a little the connection with the throttle and the engine, it’s much smoother and easier to ride, a big step forward from yesterday. We were able to try the 1000cc M1 on the wet for the first time and we went very fast so it’s been a positive day and we are very motivated to improve the bike more. We managed to complete everything we wanted to test so it’s been good!”
Gustav O

Postby Cam D on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Gustav O wrote:Ben Spies
Jorge Lorenzo
2nd
“Today we improved a little the connection with the throttle and the engine, it’s much smoother and easier to ride, a big step forward from yesterday. We were able to try the 1000cc M1 on the wet for the first time and we went very fast so it’s been a positive day and we are very motivated to improve the bike more. We managed to complete everything we wanted to test so it’s been good!”

A good time to " improved a little the connection with the throttle and the engine"! Wet riding on a 100GP bike would be quite a task.

from http://www.yamahamotogp.com/news/news.p ... -in-Sepang
Cam D

Postby RatsMC on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Wow, that bike is small.
RatsMC

Postby Albert on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Matthew Birt ‏ @birtymotogp

Lorenzo and Spies both told MCN 2nite that Yamaha has cut gap to Honda with new 1000. But both said: "We hope it is enough."

Matthew Birt ‏ @birtymotogp

Lorenzo has had new electronics, new engine and 2moro a new chassis to try. Yamaha working incredibly hard to win back title

What I'm left wondering is ---- have they (Yamaha) cut the gap to what Honda had done the day before??
--------- and if Honda hadn't taken the day off because of the engine problems would that gap have stretched back out somewhat!
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!
Albert

Postby Tourn46 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Quote from the front page of MTM...

Valentino Rossi (Ducati Team) 7th, 2:02.130 (18 laps)

“Another day practically lost, which is really a shame because for us it’s very important to ride as much as possible, and today's track conditions were much better than yesterday's. Given that we knew rain was predicted for the afternoon, we tried to focus as much work as possible in just the first twenty or so laps this morning. Using both bikes, we tried the new traction control, some software updates with the wheelie control and other small details that have to do with the seating position. I had good impressions with all of those, so we put it all into the setup of just one bike and put on a new tyre, only for it to start raining. Game over. On the plus side, I had a good feeling with all of the new stuff, so I hope we can work a little longer tomorrow.”

Is the reason for having the new things spread across 2 bikes to enable them to trouble shoot easier should one of the "new things" not be effective?

Is Hayden simply testing the bike, whereas Rossi is trying new things? Could this explain the fact Rossi is 4 tenths slower? However much I like Nicky, he's not normally as quick as Rossi... so I would be surprised if there wasn't some 'factor' behind this. Especially as Nicky is recovering from injury still.

This is pure specualtion, but Rossi is normally a couple of tenths quicker than Nicky, which would actually put him right in amongst the Yamaha's... I remain hopeful.

Fingers crossed that the rain stays away for tomorrow, the we get some Honda's on the track and we can come to some very preliminary conclusions coming out of Sepang II, rather than just teams not able to complete the testing they aimed to do.
Tourn46

PreviousNext

Return to MotoGP Class