WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Glenn9 hours 26 min ago
bemer2six11 hours 45 min ago
Upon113 hours 40 min ago
Rusty Bucket USA13 hours 47 min ago
avsatishchandra13 hours 52 min ago
- Donington Park to host 2015 British Motorcycle Grand Prix
- Moto2: Alex Marquez Signs Two-Year Deal with Marc VDS
- Repsol Video On MotoGP Race Bike Fuel
- Crescent Suzuki WSBK Ready For Spanish Action
- Scott Redding: Werks-Honda? Ducati? Oder Yamaha?
- Karel Abraham (Cardion AB-Honda): Schwache Startrunde
- Tom Sykes zu MotoGP: «Einige SBK-Piloten sind besser»
- Michael Laverty, Broc Parkes (PBM): Keine WM-Punkte
- Scott Redding (Gresini-Honda): Zweitbester Open-Pilot
- Aoyama, Camier (Aspar-Honda): Enttäuschendes Rennen
Subscribe to email update: