WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
morbidelli1749 min 7 sec ago
westedge3 hours 27 min ago
morbidelli176 hours 22 min ago
mtiberio8 hours 4 min ago
frenchie9 hours 14 min ago
- Michele Pirro (Ducati): Aprilia verführerisch
- Michael Bartholemy: Seine Pläne mit Alex Márquez
- Jubiläum 2014: 100 Jahre Australien-GP!
- Jorge Lorenzo: Er behält Crewchief Ramon Forcada!
- Colin Edwards: Warum er für Yamaha so wichtig ist
- Aprilias Erfolgs-Story in der Weltmeisterschaft
- Jorge Lorenzo: «Márquez besonders, aber besiegbar»
- Phil Read: Wie sich die Weltmeisterschaft veränderte
- Marc VDS in der MotoGP: Tauziehen um Scott Redding
- Brünn: Region Südmähren übernimmt finanzielles Risiko
Subscribe to email update: