WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Motoshrink5 min 1 sec ago
sinbad31727 min 15 sec ago
Nate40 min 41 sec ago
Matters1 hour 39 min ago
kiwimike3 hours 50 min ago
- Nicky Hayden: Rückkehr in Misano oder Aragón?
- Valentino Rossi (35): Keine Spur von Rennmüdigkeit
- MotoGP-Startfeld 2015: Nur noch wenige Plätze frei
- Dani Pedrosa: Ist er mit seinem Latein schon am Ende?
- Eugene Laverty und Johnny Rea: Platz in der MotoGP?
- Hervé Poncharal: Marcel Schrötter 2016 in der MotoGP?
- Leon Camier: Auch in Silverstone Ersatz für Hayden
- Romano Albesiano/Aprilia: MotoGP/Superbikes vereint?
- Aprilia-Rennchef Romano Albesiano: Seine MotoGP-Pläne
- Karel Abraham (14.): «Sehen uns 2015 in Brünn wieder»
Subscribe to email update: