WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
sert duc51 min 3 sec ago
David Emmett3 hours 14 min ago
David Emmett3 hours 15 min ago
eskothomson3 hours 20 min ago
eskothomson3 hours 21 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- MotoGP 2015: So sehen die Teams aus!
- Phillip Island: Die unendliche Geschichte des Sturzes
- Nicky Hayden: «Sepang ist wundervoll»
- Jeremy Burgess: «Trennung war eine gute Entscheidung»
- Londoner Bike-Festival mit Gardner, Spencer & Sarron
- Nicky Hayden & Aoyama: Ausflug in die Zukunft
- Phillip Island bei Sport1: Nur 90.000 Zuschauer
- Marc Márquez/Dani Pedrosa: Wiedergutmachung angesagt
- Avintia-Ducati 2015 mit Barbera und di Meglio
- Forward-Yamaha und Bradl 2015 mit Kayaba-Suspension?
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: