WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Machine5 hours 2 min ago
Motoshrink6 hours 27 min ago
v4racer19 hours 51 min ago
Chuckracer1 day 4 hours ago
Michael Strano1 day 6 hours ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Maverick Viñales: Zwei Motorschäden beim Jerez-Test
- Aleix Espargaró: Gefühl besser, Power großes Problem
- Alvaró Bautista (Aprilia): «Motor ist zu langsam»
- Jerez: Drei Superbike-Piloten vor Alvaró Bautista!
- Jack Miller: «Sepang-Test ist eine Herausforderung»
- HRC: Kein Veto gegen Moto2-Einsatz von Marc Márquez
- Shuhei Nakamoto: «Stoner wird nicht zurückkommen!»
- Jack Miller (LCR): Schulter-OP nach Sepang-Test
- Ticketverkauf: Jerez & Valencia spannen zusammen
- Aprilia strukturiert um: Mit Hofmann, Laverty, Biaggi
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: