2012 Silverstone World Supersport Race: Long Duel Flag To Flag
Like the first Superbike race, the race was red-flagged after the first lap and restarted as a wet race.
Unlike the Superbike race, the sun came out and the race wasn't hindered by rain. An early off-track excursion by Kenan Sofuoglu ensured that Sam Lowes and Jules Cluzel would be able to duel unhampered. Four Hondas broke away at the start while Sofuoglu was in 17th place, with Lowes and Cluzel joined by Ronan Quarmby and Broc Parkes.
Cluzel and Lowes were glued together as were Parkes and Quarmby, but as the second pair swapped places frequently, the leading two stayed in the same order until the last lap. Sam Lowes rode flawlessly, lap after lap, until Cluzel made a pass finally stick on the last lap. As the pair approacked the final section, Cluzel cut across the front of Lowes's bike, clipping his front tyre and deciding the final places.
Cluzel ensured that the Marseilese would be played for the second time today, but the first thing he did upon returning to Parc Fermé was to apologise profusely to the team manager Simon Buckmaster for the move, before an unhappy Lowes arrived.
Broc Parkes managed to beat Ronan Quarmby for the last step of the podium, and Kenan Sofuoglu forced his way through the pack for a valiant fifth place, fifteen seconds ahead of Fabien Foret.
1. Jules Cluzel (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 34'48.860
2. Sam Lowes (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 34'49.017
3. Broc Parkes (Ten Kate Racing Products) Honda CBR600RR 34'49.451
4. Ronan Quarmby (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 34'50.928
5. Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'53.927
6. Fabien Foret (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 35'08.344
7. Sheridan Morais (Kawasaki Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 35'08.898
8. Alex Baldolini (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 35'12.029
9. Andrea Antonelli (Bike Service R.T.) Yamaha YZF R6 35'12.824
10. Gabor Talmacsi (PRORACE) Honda CBR600RR 35'15.921
11. Mathew Scholtz (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 35'17.852
12. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 35'18.512
13. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 35'18.937
14. Romain Lanusse (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 35'19.171
15. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 35'20.188
16. Alexander Lundh (Bogdanka Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 35'20.302
17. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 35'26.496
18. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 35'27.593
19. Florian Marino (MSD R-N Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 35'30.274
20. Dino Lombardi (Team PATA by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 35'34.965
21. Martin Jessopp (Riders PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 35'37.302
22. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 35'52.263
23. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Yamaha YZF R6 36'53.836
RT. Joshua Day (Team GOELEVEN) Kawasaki ZX-6R 31'12.952
RT. Luca Marconi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 29'38.501
RT. Jed Metcher (Rivamoto Junior Team) Yamaha YZF R6 13'34.264
RT. Dan Linfoot (MSD R-N Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 9'13.027
RT. Danilo Marrancone (KUJA Racing) Honda CBR600RR 9'21.350
RT. Kenny Noyes (WKbikes Hampshire Motorcycles) Suzuki GSX-R600
RT. Balazs Nemeth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR
NS. Valentin Debise (SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR